Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training through an injury

Nonerz

I've been taking it easy lifting since last week. My neck has really tightened up on my and I've been adjusted several times since from my Chiropractor.

Tonight was a good training night for me. I felt much stronger than I have in the past few weeks since my neck began to stiffen up.

How do you guys handle working through an injury/pain? Do you back off and then adjust your poundages according to the amount of pain you can bear? Me curious!:confused:

last serious injury was my lower back, so i did nothing for 3 weeks, it couldnt be helped. as for you neck, i had a stiff neck once, but fortunately it only lasted like 3 days and those were my days off...

how did you hurt it again???

Good question! I work at a computer all day long, have TMJ, have been rear-ended twice, lift relatively heavy (from most chicks point of view) and like everybody else -- have dealt with a lot of stress.

I don't recall anything specific that caused the extreme stiffness/pain.

Basically, I'm tired of being gingerly with it...me want to lift more weight! Then again, I certainly WANT to be able to lift and not hurt myself any further.

I know you dont want to hear it but IMO it's best to just take time off until you feel better. 2 weeks off is better than 2 months of fustrating workouts trying to work around it.

Hope you get better soon! Do you do any kind of neck work?

I can't really give anyone advice, but I'll tell you what I do. I go by a line from the movie "The Program."

coach: "Are you hurt or are you injured?"
player: "What's the difference?"
coach: "If you're hurt you can still play, but if you're injured you can't."
player: "I guess I'm just hurt then."

If it's just pain, I take some painkillers and go to the gym. But if it feels like something more, I work around it. I don't take completely off from the gym though. I just work around it. Focus on muscles that aren't hurt. And with the hurt bodypart, train it lightly if possible.

That's just me.

slobberknocker said:
I can't really give anyone advice, but I'll tell you what I do. I go by a line from the movie "The Program."

coach: "Are you hurt or are you injured?"
player: "What's the difference?"
coach: "If you're hurt you can still play, but if you're injured you can't."
player: "I guess I'm just hurt then."

If it's just pain, I take some painkillers and go to the gym. But if it feels like something more, I work around it. I don't take completely off from the gym though. I just work around it. Focus on muscles that aren't hurt. And with the hurt bodypart, train it lightly if possible.

That's just me.

I recall hearing that...I have the same philisophy...maybe I should change the thread to, "Training through the hurt."

and you're right Tweakle, I don't want to hear that!

...doesn't mean that I shouldn't though!

Thanks

slobberknocker said:

That's just me.

Nope...it isn't just you.

I'll do whatever it takes. Alleve, icy hot, capiscan, e-stim, or just work with/through the pain(s).

I don't know any serious athlete who doesn't play with pain.

B True

I would definately look into A.R.T., nonerz. You're in the California area right? I'm sure there are some extremely skilled practioners (many level 3 or above) that reside there. I personally don't recommend training through an injury, because that is likely to make it worse. If someone says behind the neck presses "bother my shoulder, but it's not major" don't be surprised to get the "OMG I CAN'T EVEN LIFT MY SHOULDER" sooner or later. The good thing is that A.R.T. is reknowned for it's ability to address injuries FAST. As in injuries that people thought were crippling were remedied in 1-2 weeks time, and minor injuries in a couple 10 minute sessions. Make sure you find the most capable person possible (definitely level 3, level 4 would be great).

what is A.R.T? I'm doing a search but a lot of junk is coming up. I think maybe it means Active Recovery T____?

Active Release Therapy...I believe.

B True

Top Bottom