Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

TRAINING - and sitting in an office all day...

Cmon bruh...cuttn is all diet....or 95%......cardio in am, sit all day, watch your diet, and you are $$...........

I work a desk job. I'm a computer analyst so I'm infront of the puter all the time. It's probably a good thing because I got a seriously fast metabolism and I burn calories just sitting here. I'm tryin to get to 160 lbs and currently sitting at 135. All I can say is I'm eager to get into the gym after work. Tonite I got Ninjutsu class right after work but I'm hitting the gym right after class is over.

JKurz1 said:
Not a flame bro.....so don't take it that way, but I have way too much pride to sit on a ball in the gym not to mention in my accounting and law practice.....laughing wouldn't be the half of it......showing my face again the next day would be rough.......wouldnt be caught dead on the fat ball, but I'm very impressed that it's working for you....you are def. more of a man than I......keep it up, the torture is obviously over......got to ask you.....what kind of work are youi doing in the office?

I work for the Canadian Government. I have my own office, and I'm a big, and potentially mean Mfo (most of the guys in my office are aware of that). So that may have something to do with the dwindling harrassment after a week or so. You can't poke a bear with a stick for too long...

"Fat Ball" never heard it called that.

If you get a chance in the gym (when no one is around) I'd recommend trying just one set with decent weight either in the rack with the ball (flat bench), or doing the one arm row (bent over), while putting/balancing your weight on the top and center of the ball with both your knee and hand/arm while your other leg pivots out. LOL if you can do your "regular weight" dumbell for reps I'll eat my own shit. I tried it and I felt like a sissy at first cause I had to drop my dumbell weight so low just so I didn't fall on my face!

Surprisingly, I'm still getting growth too. My chest has actually grown a fair bit lately although I'm not entirely sure that's the ball, but just the switch from a stale routine maybe.

There are no regulars in my gym that even attempt to fuck with me anymore after they've tried the ball...LOL!

Our University hockey team (and now other sports teams) are now training weights with the ball after one trial season. Apparently everyone's core strength improved and on-ice performace was improved as a result. Personally I wouldn't fuck with those guys even if they were wearing a fuckin balerina's tu-tu. Those kids are big boys!

But seriously. I hear what you're saying there. I don't know if I'd feel as comfortable doing that in a hard-core "juice gym." I'd have to get a bit bigger than I am now.

Here's another, do a barbell squat while STANDING/BALANCING on top of a fit ball (rated for at least 1,000 lbs). Squat for reps (in a safety cage with spotters both sides). If you can do this, I'll god-damn-gaurantee that your regular squat will increase beyond your dreams.

Anyway, for other readers, it's an option if you want. If I hadn't had the ball thing suggested/prescribed for my back problems, I'd have blown it off too. I was pretty leery at first. Clearly now I'm sold to do a period with the ball to switch things up.

Cheers.

(Jkurz, nah...no flame no worries...)

I sit on my ass 9 hours a day at work and 2 hours worth of commuting. I sit here and eat like every 2 hours... I'd have to say that it is TREMENDOUS for recovery... I tried some construction work in the past... and even though id force myself to go to the gym... i really never had the energy...

Half the time when i get home I'm pretty burnt out from the commute now... but I'll just lie on my bed for 20 minutes and I'm ready to hit the gym....

Desk jobs are a good thing IMO

drbones2 said:
I sit on my ass 9 hours a day at work and 2 hours worth of commuting. I sit here and eat like every 2 hours... I'd have to say that it is TREMENDOUS for recovery... I tried some construction work in the past... and even though id force myself to go to the gym... i really never had the energy...

Half the time when i get home I'm pretty burnt out from the commute now... but I'll just lie on my bed for 20 minutes and I'm ready to hit the gym....

Desk jobs are a good thing IMO
Funny you should say that... I worked landscaping in the summers during college and was the biggest, strongest I've ever been......God only knows how I hit the gym after working like that all day....but my appetite was through the ceiling.......pounded calories and looked pretty good too....now, I don't eat nearly as much in terms of quanitity........mind set that if I'm sitting all day, why all the calories? Probably is leading to my strength demise.....that's even with am cardio every morning.......

JKurz1 said:
Very relevant to this board.........do any of you sit in an office all day? I'm behind the desk for 90% of the day and wondering if its effecting my training...I def. train more intense on the weekends, so there has got to be a correlation.....plus, my lower back has been giving me FITS.....thoughts?

IMO it depends on what you want to gain, if your a big guy who is trying to lose weight (which I know your not) it would be bad, but being that you are already in great shape, and maybe just maintaining, I dont really see any prob with it. And if your trying to get bigger then it would probably be really good...as for the lower back, that might just be posture...just my .02

Griz1,

You mean that flat benching on a Swiss ball is good for your lower back (better than a regular flat bench) ?

Griz1 said:
I work for the Canadian Government. I have my own office, and I'm a big, and potentially mean Mfo (most of the guys in my office are aware of that). So that may have something to do with the dwindling harrassment after a week or so. You can't poke a bear with a stick for too long...

"Fat Ball" never heard it called that.

If you get a chance in the gym (when no one is around) I'd recommend trying just one set with decent weight either in the rack with the ball (flat bench), or doing the one arm row (bent over), while putting/balancing your weight on the top and center of the ball with both your knee and hand/arm while your other leg pivots out. LOL if you can do your "regular weight" dumbell for reps I'll eat my own shit. I tried it and I felt like a sissy at first cause I had to drop my dumbell weight so low just so I didn't fall on my face!

Surprisingly, I'm still getting growth too. My chest has actually grown a fair bit lately although I'm not entirely sure that's the ball, but just the switch from a stale routine maybe.

There are no regulars in my gym that even attempt to fuck with me anymore after they've tried the ball...LOL!

Our University hockey team (and now other sports teams) are now training weights with the ball after one trial season. Apparently everyone's core strength improved and on-ice performace was improved as a result. Personally I wouldn't fuck with those guys even if they were wearing a fuckin balerina's tu-tu. Those kids are big boys!

But seriously. I hear what you're saying there. I don't know if I'd feel as comfortable doing that in a hard-core "juice gym." I'd have to get a bit bigger than I am now.

Here's another, do a barbell squat while STANDING/BALANCING on top of a fit ball (rated for at least 1,000 lbs). Squat for reps (in a safety cage with spotters both sides). If you can do this, I'll god-damn-gaurantee that your regular squat will increase beyond your dreams.

Anyway, for other readers, it's an option if you want. If I hadn't had the ball thing suggested/prescribed for my back problems, I'd have blown it off too. I was pretty leery at first. Clearly now I'm sold to do a period with the ball to switch things up.

Cheers.

(Jkurz, nah...no flame no worries...)

Good stuff bro.....maybe I'll toss one in the aerobics room and lock the door...I know from doing abs and what have you on the ball, that it's got to be f-ing hell trying to bench or squat on one...more POWER to ya......good luck with your training bro........K!

Anthrax said:
Griz1,
You mean that flat benching on a Swiss ball is good for your lower back (better than a regular flat bench) ?

Yeah, apparently its the "tableing" of your back with knees semi-close together, combined with the balancing that works the core-lower back. For more description talk to my chiropractor and her co-worker/personal trainer who were talking waaaay over my head. "Blah, blah, blah...back..blah, blah, blah, bench press...blah, blah, blah...etc."

Same goes for some of the other modifications (adding fat ball - heh! like that term!). Some I was told NOT to do with the ball due to my back problem. Actually crunches on the ball are a no-no for me for reasons in the "blah, blah" section of this post.

Top Bottom