Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training with a rucksack with weights in it?

I'd guess a bit of both to some extent. Mostly it would improve the ability to run with a heavy rucksack. Used to do it back in my army days...good times.

Probably improve the frequency of trips to the physio for knackered knees & back.

You'll generally be improving lower body muscular endurance as well as back muscles & to some extent your CV system. Once you remove the weighted rucksack you should find doing the same route much easier on the muscle groups used & should be able to train for longer.

I was training last year with 30-40lb of water in my rucksack for hiking / fel running. Doing hill sessions without the rucksack was noticeably easier.

I would not run with a rucksack, hike instead, I hike with about 100 lbs on a local trail for army rangers. Fuunnn.

If you are going to do it then start out light. I see a lot of guys in attempt to train start out ruck running with 50 + and that is and instant way to get injured. If I was going to do it I would do ruck marches with heavy weight and then also do some ruck runs with light weight, the combo of those two should achieve and rucking goals you may have.

You will notice alot moer core strength, I never ran with more that 45lbs on my back.... Anything over 60lbs is retarded and there is no need for it. Even in pre-ranger its 60lbs for 15 miles, and during the course you'll never have more than 50lbs of gear.

Also, I wouldn't use a rucksack, I'd buy a weightvest... unless you don't like your back and want to mess it up unnecessarily.

In the army we was always told to walk, only run if it is necessary, it will smash your knees if you haven't trained it up right, but walk, up hills, out the roads and so, good training for sure, thinking on beginning myself again, Oh and the water think sounds like a good idea so the weight is always stable (not like plates that can fall to one side and there for put extra pressure on your back, knees, shoulders..)

Check these guys out 3-2-4. I think they are doing a ruck sack race for 30 miles. I found them after researching ideas to prepare for ranger school.

I use my weighted ruck (40lbs) to do windsprints... I run out (about 50 yards) pick it up, and run back, drop it... walk back to start... repeat... i just do it for 20 minutes... not long enough, or heavy enough to cause an damage to knees... pluse, I do it on grass... but the twisting motion to pick it up, and sheer intensity make it a great, and fun routine... i do it weekly... and am getting more rounds in, slowly but surely!

I also use Brute Force Sandbags and do a lot of outside work with them... like walking the stairs at Red Rocks amphitheater with a 100# bag on your shoulders.. good stuff... my quads visibly split in 4 weeks of this... I just think the ruck and weights (weighted vests, sandbags, etc.) are are underutilized and make for great "get-away's" from the gym. JMO. LOL.

Top Bottom