Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training question bro - fatigue, specifically CNS fatigue

Lestat

MVP
EF VIP
Ok so I rarely post here, but here goes.

I've been training regularly for 4-5 years or so now.. currently using HST. I workout my entire body 3 days a week.

So over the past few months it seems like the quality of my workouts has been declining.

I go in all ready to lift hard and heavy, and after 1-2 sets I feel like I'm done for.. like i need to sit down.. im exhausted. My muscles aren't exhausted.. not specifically, but my entire body is. I don't get pumps, or sore, or anything..... sometimes I'll take a break and rest for 10 minutes and get a 2nd wind, but then after one intense set I'm done for again.

I force myself through more sets but the quality of the lifts is low.

I used to be able to do a heavy set, high intensity.. rest for 2-3 minutes, do another... repeat, repeat, repeat.

So I cut out squats and deadlifts, two of the most draining exercises, and tried just hitting my upper body.. seeing if I could get some stamina back.. but it doesn't seem to work.. the other day I started off with pull ups.. did an intense set of 20.. and was BEAT! I forced myself to do more work but after a grand total of 30 minutes I just called it quits for the day.

So the question is, how can I reduce my CNS (Central Nervous system) fatigue?? When I lift lighter, I end up doing more reps.. so the intensity level is almost always the same no matter how much weight I am doing. I want to be able to get back to doing a FULL 60 minutes of heavy lifting.. 20 sets give or take a couple... really blast things so I can barely lift my arms by the time I leave.

Any advice?

do you ever take any weeks off?
if you have been on a routine for a long period of time, taking a little time off will almost always help.

you may also want to try working your upper and lower body seperately.... that way you wont be doing as many compound movements bunched together in the same workout.

Definetly time for a few days off if your that spent. OR... as I always say:

"Overtraining doesn't exist. There's under-eating, and under-sleeping."

Modify accordingly. Also, it sounds like maybe it's time to change training too after being very strict with your routines it seems.

I'm a HUGE proponent of instinctive training... not one training day the same as any other, even if it's a little different, the body adapts too well sometimes.

I do switch up training from workout to workout.

and yes I do take 1 week off every 4-5 weeks.. so I get plenty of rest! I also only lift 3 days a week!

For CNS recovery, about all you can do is rest, whether that means sleeping more, reducing workout intensity, or other changes to your non-workout life.

How do you feel when you're not in the gym? If it really is a CNS issue, the lack of energy should be apparent at other times. Depending on your training history, the problem might just be the types of workouts you're doing. If you haven't worked much at very high rep ranges, it's possible that you aren't used to weight training that places such large demands on muscle endurance and the cardiovascular system.

Cynical Simian said:
For CNS recovery, about all you can do is rest, whether that means sleeping more, reducing workout intensity, or other changes to your non-workout life.

Well put! sprinkle some K on ya for that post!

Exactly, it doesn't matter that you do "whatever you say you do" ... simply put, something needs to be changed for your CNS to "recharge" .... could be stress, or a thousand other things.

Lestat said:
Ok so I rarely post here, but here goes.

I've been training regularly for 4-5 years or so now.. currently using HST. I workout my entire body 3 days a week.

So over the past few months it seems like the quality of my workouts has been declining.

I go in all ready to lift hard and heavy, and after 1-2 sets I feel like I'm done for.. like i need to sit down.. im exhausted. My muscles aren't exhausted.. not specifically, but my entire body is. I don't get pumps, or sore, or anything..... sometimes I'll take a break and rest for 10 minutes and get a 2nd wind, but then after one intense set I'm done for again.

I force myself through more sets but the quality of the lifts is low.

I used to be able to do a heavy set, high intensity.. rest for 2-3 minutes, do another... repeat, repeat, repeat.

So I cut out squats and deadlifts, two of the most draining exercises, and tried just hitting my upper body.. seeing if I could get some stamina back.. but it doesn't seem to work.. the other day I started off with pull ups.. did an intense set of 20.. and was BEAT! I forced myself to do more work but after a grand total of 30 minutes I just called it quits for the day.

So the question is, how can I reduce my CNS (Central Nervous system) fatigue?? When I lift lighter, I end up doing more reps.. so the intensity level is almost always the same no matter how much weight I am doing. I want to be able to get back to doing a FULL 60 minutes of heavy lifting.. 20 sets give or take a couple... really blast things so I can barely lift my arms by the time I leave.

Any advice?

When I hit this problem, I switched to a circuit training routiene, and increased rest length by a third between sets. This way, if your training bench * 1 set, then 3 mins rest, bicep curl * 1 set, 3 mins rest, crunches * 1 set, 3 mins rest - then repeat a few times, you get loads of rest before you hit bench again.

Also, try training for strength for a while. Increasing weight and reducing volume means less work for your cardiovasculor system.

Good luck!

Most likely an immediate break from lifting would be in order (4-7 days).

Make sure you are getting some extra sleep (use melatonin, kava kava to enhance your REM sleep). Up your water intake with some added Gatorade for fluid retention.

Maybe some massage (deep tissue).

Try some pre-workout stimulants for your heavy lifting/drag ass days.

Have you ever tried a spine roller for pre-workout stretching?

Top Bottom