Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training for Power and Speed

coolcolj

check this page out

http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_chris_korfist.html

it would seem that 50% of your 1RM is the best load to use when training for maximal power. And that 80% is the highest load one should use when training for strength, without slowing down too much.

And off course going to failure will slow down the speed drasticly

This will modify my training somewhat :)

What do you mean by "maximal power" and "strength"? Sounds the same to me. In my aspect of wanting to get no bulk and train for martial arts and have muscular endurance (which everyone says isn't real but I tend to disagree with, if you have a higher amount of slow-twitch fibers) would I then do 50% of my RM?

Edit: BTW, interesting read. Thanks alot, Cool! ^^ I have a feeling this may be what I was looking for.

maximal power as in training to run faster or to jump higher. or for sports in general. Training like a bodybuilder will make you slow.

In my own training now, I do a couple of strength sets, and then I drop the weight to 50% 1RM and hyper acclerate the reps and do about 6-8 reps. But now I'm gonna reduce my strength sets down to 75-80% of 1RM.

WSB = West Side Barbell club

Alright, so for martial arts if I wanna keep my speedy kicks and 4 ft vertical leap, I guess I should train at 50% RM, eh? ^^ Sounds good, heavy weights and low reps never worked for me, it seems. I must have more slow-twitch.

No you use both 50% and 80% and higher. You can't have power without strength so you need to develop both

every muscle in your body will be different in their fast/slow percentage though.

Eh, changing the weights for different exercises is too much effort for me, I'll just meet halfway, 65% will be my number. Power and strength mean the same thing, don't they? o_O

No

Power= Strengthxspeed

Strength is a display of force without any regard to speed.
SO you can see you can't have great power without big strnegth.

anyway when in doubt, just lift the damn bar! :)

Oh, I don't care how fast I can lift the damn weights =P

All I care about is increasing my muscle to help throw a better, more effecient punch. What muscles would do that, BTW? I would imagine your delts and lats would have something to do with it (with that hooking motion let's say, forcing your bodyweight into it, but I'm not sure)

Needless to say, I will just lift the damn bar, no reason to use heavy weights.

Top Bottom