Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training for my first Triathalon. What type of weight training is best?

Longhorn85

The triathalon is next May, so I have plenty of time to develop the proper muscle groups. I know my legs must be strong, but not to big so as not to adversely affect my running. I will spend a lot of time in the pool, running and on the bike.

Has anyone here completed a tri? By the way, this will be a sprint triathalon (.5 mi swim, 20K bike, 10K run)

Thanks

Too much weights will take away from all that cardio training. You can't make progress in both.

I would do an abbreviated twice a week full body routine, and keep the weights heavy and the reps low to maintain strength.

The only thing that will improve running is running and so on.

Doktor Bollix said:
Too much weights will take away from all that cardio training. You can't make progress in both.

It is difficult to do this, but it is possible. In the Army guys who like to lift heavy fight this battle constantly because we run so much.

I think I will continue to lift heavy up until about 6 weeks before the race.

Thanks for the tip.

I can't see that any weight training would be beneficial. A close friend of mine competes in triathlons and doesn't do any weight training, he simply concentrates on training in swim, cycling, and running. You are btter off putting that time into more 'specific' training that WILL help you in the race.

VG & BS,

Event-related training is a good idea, but I've attended several tri's that my wife competed in, and there were a lot of muscular competitors that did pretty good. I can't believe that they laid off of the weights for very long.

I would hate to lose a lot of muscle during the train-up. After all, if you can't look all buff running and biking with no shirt on, then why bother?:)

That's a different matter.

If you want to maintain your physique in terms of appearance, then fine, but the weight training will not give you any beneficial assistance during the event. At the end of the day, triathlon is an endurance sport and cardio vascular, event specific fitness is what's required.

But if you have worked hard for your physique, i agree, it's tough to let it go.

weight training now is fine. of course you are going to be doing your specific events as well though. as you near your event you will cycle your training more towards the specifics. think of it as train broad to narrow. diverse to specific. thats how you peak. you have alot of time so plan it out.

and yes, you can train for both but keep in mind that you wont be able to max out your gains on both. thats why doing general conditioning now and getting more specific as you near is a way to go. build the foundation of strength you need while increasing a bit of endurance then shift gears to using your strength gained AS you increase your performance endurance-wise.

I appreciate the tips. I must point out, my goal is to complete a sprint tri and to be competitive with those in my age group with similar experience. I of course don't expect to be able to compete with those who have been doing it for years.

Top Bottom