Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training legs for endurance while still promoting growth

Xlajbf

Hi. For reference, I'm 5'10" @ 172lbs, 10% bf, and my quads measure 24.25" at their widest (which I imagine is respectable for my bodyweight... yes?) and calves measure 15" (which I imagine suck for my bodyweight... yes?).

Anyway - I am a fencer (you know, like with swords and stuff) and the endurance in my legs is awful. After warmups and being in the en garde position for a couple of minutes, my legs are exhausted and ready to go. Heck, I fell down the other day because I was advancing too fast and my leading leg just couldn't handle the fatigue.

I would like to put together a leg day routine that will help me substantially improve the endurance in my legs... and when I say substantially improve, I mean have my legs be less tired AFTER a tournament than everybody else's legs are BEFORE the tournament.

However, I do want to continue putting on weight and do something about these disastrous calves of mine.

What can you recommend for me that will help with my endurance problem while still promoting growth (albeit probably slow growth)?

Thanks

20 rep breathing squats!

High rep calf raises with extremely short rest intervals between sets is what gets my calves to respond.

Do those two and you will be walking funny while leaving the gym.

What sort of weight relative to my normal 8 rep working weight should I be using when doing 20 rep squats? Should I reduce it a bit or is the goal to do 20 reps with something I normally do 8 with by taking breaks during the actual exercise without racking the weight?

Xlajbf said:
What sort of weight relative to my normal 8 rep working weight should I be using when doing 20 rep squats? Should I reduce it a bit or is the goal to do 20 reps with something I normally do 8 with by taking breaks during the actual exercise without racking the weight?

If you wanna work endurance for fencing the best thing you can do is practice fencing for long periods of time... if you wanna add the most strength and the most endurance combined for fencing practice fencing and do squats on the same day. ie. Do your squats then start practicing your fencing moves...

Lots of questions like this today.

On your non workout days, get a dragging sled or improvise with a weighted platform or oversize tire and drag it behind you for a certain time.

Or you can do a farmer's walk. They also have specialized impements for this but all you need is a set of heavy dumbells. Grab one in each hand and walk around the gym until you need to drop them. Rest only as long as necessary and begin again.

Useful link:General Physical Preparedness

Xlajbf said:
Use your normal ten rep weight, but just do 20 instead. It will test your will as well as your strength. Yes do not rack the weight until you have completed all 20 reps. You will find that taking longer breaks drags out the agony so you will want to speed it up a little. You will only need to do one set per training session. If you want to do another that is up to you. I would come back in to the gym in two or three days and do the squat routine again instead.

I did not mention the weight to use on the calves. I would recommend to use as heavy as possible with high reps and short rest. Many sets of those and you will feel them the next day.

Top Bottom