Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

training to failure for more volume

Rambod48

Do you guys think training to failure is better to gain size and volume faster than regular work out? I have read some body building articles and some pros like yates used to train to failure all the time , also which movements would you recommend to work out this way, thanks.

my opinion is you need to push yourself to improve in anything, not just fitness. but you don't want to over do it either. know when to hit the gas and know when to hit the brakes. so pretty much train to failure on some sets and some workouts. but not EVERY workout.

Getting to the failure point is a good way of reaching one's limits, but in order to make progress in general terms, you need to be consistent and follow a plan, which would be hard to do if you did everything to failure. Therefore, do train till failure from time to time, but definitely not each and everytime.

As per a reply on this forum on the very same subject (use the search function) progression is everything. Working to failure works too but:
1) Most people, that says they do, don't.
2) It's real hard.
3) It'd be very easy to over train. Yates only worked out 4x a week, had great genetics, took drugs.

i will add we had frank zane on the podcast and he said he doesn't believe in training to failure ever or feeling pain etc. it just proves that genetics are so important in weight training and that average joe's like 90% of us out there cannot follow what the top .01% genetically gifted people do.

it would be like trying to follow Lebron James basketball routine, good luck with that.

You actually do not need to train to failure to get fantastic hypertrophy results.

Science shows that the most important factor in hypertrophy is the total amount of volume you perform in a workout. You can actually due more volume by not training to failure.

Lets say you can lift 100 pounds for 10 reps. That's your absolute max. If you do that for your first set, you will probably be gassed and can only do 9, 8 and 7 reps for your next 3 sets.

However, if you only do 9 reps for your first set, you can probably do 9 reps for your next 3 sets as well. Even though you didn't train to failure, the total volume you used is higher and you will get better hypertrophy results as a result.

I like to train to failure when I have a spotter there. If not then I might add in some drop sets just to finish up strong.

I think it is also important to vary your training techniques.

Top Bottom