Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

training to compete in upcoming marathon

daveerick

I will be running a marathon in 4 months, first time competing, I used to run a amateur but this time I'm getting serious, I was wondering if adding distance to my training every day is the best way to increase my resistance, I do 9-10 miles every other day , so if I add maybe half a mile everyday that would help or it'll burn me out? how about gym training? would it help?

If you are going to do a marathon, the gym is the last thing you need. You do not need any additional mass, so just do running. In order to not get overtrained, I would suggest to take a rest day for every 3 days of hardcore training. For instance, you could do 3 days of intense training, and then one day of light training. And yes - you will definitely need to add a bit of distance on each training, but I don't think you can add half a mile each day. At least take two days for that. And obviously, listen to your body.

Another variation of training that you might add, is to split the distance you can run into two separate training sessions during the day, and increase each of them every certain period of time.

I'd cut my weights to 2x a week for the duration - look to maintain at best and, if need be, drop a little weight. You can always gain it back later.

The, running wise, I'd run at least 4 days a week. Two sessions for pace and two for distance. And yes I'd add a little distance every week. I'd want to be running 12-15 miles a session in two months and 15-20 at least once (if not twice) a week in the last couple of weeks before the actual marathon.

to run an actual marathon you never actually need to run a marathon to train.

this isn't weight training at all and you shouldn't treat it like that

the way people train for marathons is via half marathon interval training. so that means 13 miles you invest in a heart rate monitor, when your heart rate hits your goal during your jog you slow down your pace. then when your heart rate drops to your goal you up your pace.. and so on. people will utilize half marathons to train for marathons that way. to be successful at this you need to run ALONE. running with a partner is the dumbest thing you can do as we all are very different

as far as weight training who the fuck says you have to stop ? when i was an endurance athlete i still weight trained 3x per week. just don't destroy your legs within 48 hours of a run

I like your plan. I think trying to add 1/2 a mile each time you run will allow you to make fast progress without getting burnt out.

Running that much is going to be very demanding on your body and hard to recover from though. I wouldn't run every day. I would run every second day.

On your days off, I would do things like pilates and yoga to increase strength and endurance. Working on bodyweight exercises (like done in yoga and pilates) will increase strength and build functional muscles.

Adding a small amount of distance each run seems like the most logical way to train for a long run. I know there are aps for people just getting into running and that is how they work. Those are for 5k and 10k runs so I am not sure if it would be any different just adding more distance on.

Top Bottom