Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training belt

To think you're better then anyone who wears a belt/gloves/straps is moronic bro. At least those people are TRYING to get healthier/more fit. And yes, I could lift without a belt for a week.

1. never said I was better, just that I laugh when I see guys walking around wearing gloves, straps, and belts.. and then the guys who wear hoodies and sunglasses I LOL at even harder. none of those guys I see at the gym very often anyway, maybe once or twice a week tops.. these are the same guys who use the squat rack to do curls.

2. never said they weren't trying to get better however if they would put the puzzle together they would see they aren't going anywhere, they are usually the guys who are in the gym to shoot the shit with others or fuck around.. one of my good friends is a belt/strap wearer and he is in the gym twice a week and only benches.. he is strong as fuck on the bench btw, but his legs look like toothpicks.

3. if you can lift without a belt then why do you use one? that's the whole point I am making.. you don't need to wear a belt to lift weights!! you just proved my point.

1. never said I was better, just that I laugh when I see guys walking around wearing gloves, straps, and belts.. and then the guys who wear hoodies and sunglasses I LOL at even harder. none of those guys I see at the gym very often anyway, maybe once or twice a week tops.. these are the same guys who use the squat rack to do curls.

2. never said they weren't trying to get better however if they would put the puzzle together they would see they aren't going anywhere, they are usually the guys who are in the gym to shoot the shit with others or fuck around.. one of my good friends is a belt/strap wearer and he is in the gym twice a week and only benches.. he is strong as fuck on the bench btw, but his legs look like toothpicks.

3. if you can lift without a belt then why do you use one? that's the whole point I am making.. you don't need to wear a belt to lift weights!! you just proved my point.

Its not needed but it does help. I lifted for a good 2 years without using one and now I do. I simply use it because it helps.. Plain and simple

Its not needed but it does help. I lifted for a good 2 years without using one and now I do. I simply use it because it helps.. Plain and simple

anything that 'helps' in training is not making you improve, its setting you back which is one of the reasons I am so anti gloves, straps and belts.

think about that for a second. its just like if you were to take steroids at 17, you might think you are helping yourself but you are only setting yourself back.

just imagine a runner training downhill or with the wind only. is that helping them get better? NO. training up hill and training against the wind is what is going to make them improve.

I've had so many guys come up to me in the gym and offer for me to use their belts on my heavy squats and I turn them down and explain this to them and they think about it and then admit I am right. its common sense thinking.

anything that 'helps' in training is not making you improve, its setting you back which is one of the reasons I am so anti gloves, straps and belts.

think about that for a second. its just like if you were to take steroids at 17, you might think you are helping yourself but you are only setting yourself back.

just imagine a runner training downhill or with the wind only. is that helping them get better? NO. training up hill and training against the wind is what is going to make them improve.

I've had so many guys come up to me in the gym and offer for me to use their belts on my heavy squats and I turn them down and explain this to them and they think about it and then admit I am right. its common sense thinking.
You see thats were we disagree. How does it set me back if it helps me improve my physique?

When I was in HS I used belts as stated by the coach when I tried doing the same weight later on down the road without a belt. There was severe strain on my abs and lower back.. simple conclusion belts inhibit.

learn and apply

You see thats were we disagree. How does it set me back if it helps me improve my physique?

there really isn't any way to prove your belt usage has helped you improve more than had you not used a belt.. its really impossible to prove either way.

the same argument can be made about steroids.. your peers might be juiced up and are getting far, but had they not juiced maybe they would of gotten just as far and not jeopardized their future and ruined their HPTA.. when they are 22 and finishing college and run bloodwork and see their T levels are 250 they might figure out it wasn't a good idea to juice as a teen right?

sometimes what you think is helping you is hurting you. keep an open mind about things youngster, not just on this but on everything. trust me as you gain experience things you do now you will look back and may think 'shit I can't believe I used to do that' .. but that's part of life and learning...

I will say with certainty though from my OWN experience that gloves are a major no-no. when I used them my forearms and wrists did not develop like the rest of my arm and I started having problems and weakness. once I stopped using the gloves it took 6-9 months for things to even out. belts are the same way, like the prior poster said they are inhibiting your body from developing, even if its just slightly.. at your age its a big deal because you are still growing and developing into a man. add to that you are putting on tremendous globs of mass and you see why I say belts, gloves, straps and all that shit is bad. so if you look at it like that it can affect your physique, even if it doesn't seem like it.

so wear a belt if you insist, just do not become dependent on a belt.. if one day you forget your belt and get to the gym and your workout just isn't the same that's when you know that you have become dependent on it which is not good

I remember watching a clip of Ronnie Coleman where he said he used a belt most of the time to keep his waist down, when Olympia was after that smaller waist. I would never use a belt all the time but I do use a fibre belt on deads, squats and bent over rows. I see most pro bodybuilders also wear them, so are they wrong to wear one also, IMO it's up to the individual what feels better for them. Although I agree that if you wear gloves, make sure they match your purse :p

I remember watching a clip of Ronnie Coleman where he said he used a belt most of the time to keep his waist down, when Olympia was after that smaller waist. I would never use a belt all the time but I do use a fibre belt on deads, squats and bent over rows. I see most pro bodybuilders also wear them, so are they wrong to wear one also, IMO it's up to the individual what feels better for them. Although I agree that if you wear gloves, make sure they match your purse :p

as i've said over and over again wearing a belt is one thing.. depending on a belt is another. its okay to wear a belt here and there, but when you become dependent on it then that's a problem.

lets be careful with saying "pro bodybuilders do this so everyone else should too" there are a lot of things pro bodybuilders do that 99.999% of us shouldn't do.

running crazy amounts of gear, insulin, GH, stims, heart meds, pain killers etc etc. those guys are so fucked up but that's their lives just like a QB who gets his head beat in over and over.. its worth it to make sure your family never has to work. (unfortunately even after making millions these guys end up bankrupt a lot anyway but that's for another discussion).. also working out through injuries is considered "tough" .. but the normal person should never do that or their injury will become chronic

if you youtube the pro's working out you will see they do not wear them necessarily.. Jay Cutler for example will wear one on occasion but for most of his lifts he does not. but lets keep in mind these guys do not care about the future, they care about the present and whatever bad they are doing to themselves isn't important long term.

anyway its a good discussion, in the end everyone should do what they feel is smart.. I hope those that wear belts will atleast think about what I've posted.

I see how you guys hate on things like belts and wrist straps, but it all depends on how you use it. For me, if I'm looking to do maximum weight for a set, say squatting 405 for 5 reps or say Deadlift like that, yes I use a belt for sets that heavy because I'm focusing on building leg muscles, or say I'm doing shrugs and primarily want my traps to grow I will use the straps (I also have baby hands). As long as you use these things as a tool to help you, instead of a crutch it can benefit you. Also using a belt on heavy lifts supports good form.

Also, I found a vaero or Altus 4-6 inch is the best investment. Very durable and comfortable.

Then again I also upgraded to a professional grade belt this year that's like 8-10 inches thick.

Top Bottom