Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To train or not when hurt?

Fast Twitch Fiber

My friggin rotator cuff is inflamed, it doesn't hurt extremely bad unless I do incline presses or overhead lifts. I would really like to get this to heal but I don't want to take time off. What do you do? It's been bothering me off and on for about 8 years but it's been hurting throughout the entire previous year. Should I just stop lifting completely until this thing heals or keep trying to train around the pain?

Be smart and listen to your body as stated. I tried to push through something as simple as tendonitis and it become very bothersome and intolerable over time. Rest is probably your best bet, but that's hard to come to terms with. Do your best to work around it and then hit the ground running when it's fully healed.

You can try to work around it but you really need to listen to your body and take it slow.

A few days off or a couple of weeks of down-time is certainly better than a long-term, chronic injury.

My advice to you would be to work your core and legs. Once your rotator is up to speed you can resume upper body training. Good luck!

I try to train through most pain and injuries. I hate to stop. I have tendinitis in my left elbow right now that hurts now and then but never during the lifts. I figure if it's really bad I'll know for sure to stop. If it's rotator cuff it might be nice to lay off those upper body movements and go hardcore on abs and legs for 3 or 4 months while it heals. I've never done it but it sounds nice to train just lower or just upper for a few months think how much more training and growth you could get in if all your effort went to just one area.

I developed tendonitis myself in my left elbow..the pain wasn't intolerable and I kept lifitng..after awhile I grew tired of the aggravation and decided to rest and cut...so I dropped 16 lbs and shrunk musculary a good bit..I hit the weights after a 2 week layoff(in the between time the tendonitis didn't improve,it wasn't as bad as the day after lifting,but I still had some pain with even casual movements such as moving a full pot off the stove)..so after 2 weeks I went lifting about once a week...still not much different as when I completely laid off for 2 weeks..so finally I made an appointment with rehab doc...he did some xrays and tole me I had tendonitis and it would not heal on its own even with complete rest..he gave me some valdecoxib and said to lay off for 2 weeks and take the pills...I'll go back in 2 weeks and if it hasn't noticeably improved he will give me a cortizone shot..so I guess I'm telling you to make an appointmnet and get some meds..he also told me to take shark cartilage,chondroitin,glucosamine and MSM..this doc was big on herbs and we chatted about milk thistle,ALA etc..he said he drinks and he takes those for their liver protective benefits..so now I'm going to the beach this weekend and I'd really like to lift some just to tighten up..though it is nice to be back at a 32" waist at least

Top Bottom