Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tips for training first client who is deaf

Rankles

a question for those of you who trained clients. I have my first training session in a few days with my first client ever it will be in the gym. The guy is deaf and in his 50s I've already sat down with him and we've gone over his history and his goals using pen and paper.. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on training him without making him feel uncomfortable and not pushing him away. I would imagine he might feel a little timid working with someone at a gym and thinking people are laughing at him xcetera

Tell him not to worry about it and develop hand signals you can use with him to train

You're overthinking this. I saw a vid yesterday of a competing BB who is both deaf and blind.

Just do your job. He'll be grateful.

I helped coach one guy who had a leg missing and the other leg was also cut. People would look shocked when he was flipping a tractor tire on his stumps with my yelling at him. He loved it.

He also had bladder issues (the whole thing caused by Spina Bifida). If I held him down on a bench I'd smell piss.

But he and his buddy played for a local disabled basketball team representing the county.

Shit got done. No excuses.

I also coached (and competed against) one guy who's kinda 'famous'. Dr Tom Balchin. He's the boss of ARNI and has, having had a stroke himself, helped a fella who did a big Sunday political show on the BBC after he had a stroke too. I made sure to kick his ass in the gym and NOT do the whole 'whoh is me... I'm 'disabled'' thing

He would be able to read your lips, just show him that you are really committed to help him with his goals

Top Bottom