Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tips are appreciate for maximizing my MMA training program (check it out)

Hellawulf

Program

Sunday
- AM = Bill Starr's 5x5 Day 1

Monday
- AM = Brazilian Ju Jitsu (BJJ) drills
- Lunch = Derobio Escrima Kali
- PM = Jeet Kune Do (JKD)

Tuesday
- AM = 5x5 Day 2
- PM = Muay Thai Drills

Wednesday
- AM = BJJ Drills
- Lunch = Derobio Escrima Kali
- PM = JKD

Thursday
- AM = 5x5 Day 3
- PM = Muay Thai Drills

Friday
- AM = BJJ Drills
- PM = Speed/Agility or BJJ rolling

Saturday
- AM = Muay Thai Sparring
- Lunch = Wing Chung + Kali/JKD

Bill Starr's 5x5 = progressive overload 5 sets, 5 reps + (optional) secondary lifts, increasing in 20-30LB increments between sets and 5-10LB increments each week on each major lift.

Day 1 = Squat, Bench, Row (+Curls/Tri Ext/ Leg Raises)

Day 2 = Squat (light), Deads, Military Press (Pull Downs / Calf Raises)

Day 3 - Squat, Bench, Row (+ Shoulder Flys/ Front Raises / Leg Raises)

Speed/Agility = Speed Ladders, Hurdles, Sprints, Jump Rope (various forms), Box Jumps

Goals
- Maintain size (approx. 245-255 LBs)
- Improve muscularity
- Improve speed/agility
- Improve strength
- Improve technical martial arts skills
- Compete in amateur MMA before the end of 2021

History
7 years Tai Kwon Do
4 years Tang Su Do (competitive)
1 Year Kickboxing/BJJ (competitive)
1 Year JKD/BJJ
--5 years break --
3 months back in training with schedule above, estimating at least 6 more months before ready for first amateur fight in heavyweight division

Other: 5 years HS football (tightend/ outside linebacker) + 2 years college Rugby (lock)

i have no clue how to train for MMA, but this looks like a helluva plan you got there so looks good. you might want to check out some of our podcasts i've done with mobster where we talk about martial artists

Thanks, I'll look into it!

I'd really advise you to go talk to a MMA coach

Easier said than done, especially for big guys LOL

I figured I might be able to find someone here that has some experience/knowledge.

1) Most MMA coaches in my area work with smaller guys. The game is totally different, as there is no need to cut, but strength in relation to speed and mobility is a big factor. So you want to be strong, muscular, but not too muscular (as to sacrifice flexibility/mobility), and fast. Not just fast.

2) I work on various martial arts. So my coaches are martial arts Sifus, Krus, Masters, and Grandmasters in their respective arts, but not MMA.

I'm thinking about working with my local UFC gym, but I don't want to lose out on the high level training I'm getting with the art specific coaches and again (#1)...

I wish I could find a coach for me, but I'm also at my max budget between two martial arts gyms, a weightlifting gym membership, supplements and food LOL

The gyms alone are a total of $355 per month. Then probably like $100-150/ month on supps and $100-150 per week on food.

can’t help ya much here bro get a coach

Y'all might be able to help me dial in my strength and conditioning training though.

I did have a chance to sit down with my martial arts coach Wednesday night, and essentially he told me that he sees the talent and drive in me to do well in competition, but he thinks I need to add a nutritionist and a sports-specific strength coach to my team.

The thing is that my budget is already at max just paying for 3 gyms (my stand-up gym, my BJJ gym, and my weightlifting gym), but it's worth it because I've got some of the best coaches in their respective arts in the world.

But, that means I've got to cut corners on the nutritionist and strength coach until I actually get some fights under my belt and start getting someone to pay for my coaches for me.

Really, he said that I just need to transition my workouts to more sport-specific training. That, even though I'm doing functional lifting (squats, deads, bench, military press, pendlay row), that I'm really strong enough, and so I need to develop more endurance and power in specific muscle movements. If I develop more muscle without that, then I could actually hinder myself by developing muscles that are antagonistic to certain punches and kicks.

So I came up with a routine I'm going to try today:

3 rounds, 5 minutes - consistent jab, cross, jeep, roundhouse (so left punch, right punch, left kick, right kick) on heavy bag.
3 Rounds of Circuit:
30 Seconds Ground and Pound
30 Seconds Hand Switching
30 Second Rest
1 Min Row Machine Sprint
30 Second Rest
1 Min Speed Bike Sprint
30 Second Rest
1 Min Bear Craws
30 Second Rest
1 Treadmill Sprint
1 min rest
Repeat

Then really just doing a Push/Pull/Legs routine

so, today, I'll do a pull day:

Pendlay Rows
115 X 6
140 X 6
165 X 6
190 X 6

Wide Grip Pull-Downs
120 X 8
140 X 8
160 X 8
180 X 8

Deadlifts
215 X 6
260 X 6
305 X 6
350 X 6

Hammer Curls
25 X 10
30 X 10
35 X 10
40 X 10

10-15 minutes stretching

I figured I'd go down in weights to account for the fatigue from the heavy bag and circuit training work and that I'd be dead by the time I got to hammers, so just light weight for reps.

I've got some sparring fights tomorrow morning though. So I don't want to kill myself too much that I won't be able to spar effectively though.

Top Bottom