Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Time in the gym - the science

SteveMobsterG

EF Logger
So one subject which came up both on the recent podcast and on one of our forums was the 'time in the gym' subject. Essentially new guys will make a statement like 'dude... I'm in the gym hours and so..' they will add 'yet I'm not hench' or 'so I MUST be training harder than x or y'

On the podcast I freely admit that my 2+ hours consists of 50% of the time down by the counter, chewing the fat or helping/coaching members and the other 50% is training. Now I train for strength and I'm quite a bit of an HIT (High Intensity) type trainer. That mean, other than quads, I rarely do more than two exercises and rarely more than 2 warm up sets and 3 work sets.

Take my Friday session recently. Shoulders, biceps, triceps and forearms

Iso Press - facing into the machine. 1 arm at a time. 18 reps with the arm, +20-kilos x 8 reps, +40-kilos x 6 reps, +65-kilos x 6 reps. Done

Hammer DB Curls (ends up in an across the body style) - 15-kilos x 8 reps, 25-kilos x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 8 reps, 55-kilos x 8 reps and 65-kilos x 8 reps. The 45, 55 and 65-kilo dumbbell curls are one arm at a time. The number of sets is less work but more that the first 3 are more warm ups

Tricep Pressdowns - I use the smoother of two lat machines we have and a cambered bar. 8 stack plates x 8 reps, 11 stack plates x 8 reps and 14 stack plates x 8 reps. On the heavy sets of presses and pressdown I wear a pair of elbow sleeves.

Over the knee forward and reverse wrist curls. 3 sets of 8-12 reps working to 22.5-kilos a hand on reverse and 35-kilos a hand x 8 reps forward.

Now as a lifter the science is that my sets take a little less than a bodybuilder. Speed equals power. My rest can be longer - 5 minutes again according to the science.

As a bodybuilder your reps will be a little higher. Where I'll rarely do more than 8 reps and typically less yours will be 8-12 reps. The set should have a slower negative rep portion and the rest should be about 2 minutes.

The endurance and conditioning athletes will get their reps into the 12-20 count, take even less time on their rests and do a lower percentage of a 1 rep max (1RM). If my 1RM is 80% plus and a bodybuilders is 60-70% then an endurance person is sub 60%.

Arthur Jones was writing about this stuff and throwing out some numbers for us to work with back in the 1970's. There's been a ton of stuff since including HIT vs Volume done by guys who actually like to train too.

Trust me - time in the gym doesn't equate to actual work done.

Jerry Ward actually just put up a video about this very subject and it is so true

good post and observation.

my workouts are not long at all, but i talk to NO ONE.. i actually even hate having to make small talk with the person at the front who swipes me in. i just go there and do my sets and leave. it is all business

those that want to make it a social event i have ZERO PROBLEM with. that is your business, but it just isn't something I do

Top Bottom