Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thumbless grip as opposed to regular grip...

bodytemple75

Guys,

Who here uses which,...and why? I use thumbless a lot, but do use regular. I guess it is what seems most comfortable at the time, but I always thought on certain movements, (bench press for example) although a bit more caution was to be observed,...thumbless helped perform the movement better. But it could be all in my head. Don't know for sure really...

The reason that thumbless makes you feel stronger is that it stabilizes the wrist bones better. Opening the thumb joint allows for the metacarpals to align in a straight orientation unlike with a closed thumb. The danger is that you don't have as much control over the weight and therefore can make dropping it easier(big problem for flat bench). The alternative is to use wrist wraps to stabilize the joint and maintain the same control level by having the thumb closed. Competition rules forbid the thumbless grip due to the dangers of dropping a large weight onto your chest.

As for back and other exercises it increases the forearm flexor work. The only problem there is if you train this way your closed hand grip may suffer as your thumb won't be as strong. Ideally you can do both by using thumbless part of the time and closed grip the other times.

Cheers,
Scotsman

I've heard of guys using that open grip on flat bench and dropping the weight on themselves. Spotters won't help you.

Personally, I'd just as soon use the thumb when there is risk of danger, and, depending on your goals, use it with or without otherwise.

I go to fingers when my thumbs give out. My grip is piss poor......

I'm the crazy guy, cuz I basically never use my thumb!!! only on DL and Bi's, but almost on all pressing motions, and alot of puling (back)motions I dont use my thumb. I think the worry of dropping a weight on your chest doing flat bench just makes you focus on your form!!! I switched to this along time ago, and neer looked back, honestly I dont think I could even wrap my thumb around, cuz it would feel to damn akward! But as a side note, I am not nearly as strong as half of you bastards, so my opinion would be more based on what you guys do on your light days!!! LOL

But I do think it helps on your wrist on the flat bench atleast ;)

Top Bottom