Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Thread about Dead(s)............

JKurz1

Banned
In a previous post, it was brought up that deads may or may not be the best exercise for back (mass) development. It appears to be the consensus that the legs and then the traps take the brunt of most of the work. Agree or disagree? If so, what do you reccomend as the best overall back exericise? Straight bar or T-bar rows? Post you views...........

Maybe not the best, but they sure do work, and i think when it comes to building the back from the waist to the traps they are the best. Now if i was a pure bodybuilder, i probaby would do my deads last, to really blast the back after it has been worked, I have done it before and it works great. Doing sets of 8-10 after a full back workout is probably the hardest i have ever gone on deads, almost vommiting.

deads, chins, rows... they all work slightly differently but IMO deads are the daddy, followed by weighted chins (for their slightly longer ROM than rows and more weight moved)

deads dont bother my hamstrings one bit. They have helped build up my lower back and define my traps some more, but that's about it. I just do them now because i know they are a full body exercise.

i love wide-grip and close-grip barbell rows the best for my back, then close grip pulldowns. Unfortunately i dont get much out of wide-grip pulldowns.

resonator said:
If I had to choose only one movement for back development, deadlifts would be it, no question.
Maybe for overall BODY development, but I would probably have to disagree for pure back mass.........IMO, str8 bar rows take the cake....or maybe dbell rows.........

Seems like the consensus is (for bodybuilders) to toss in some higher rep deads 3-4 sets, 6-10 reps as a finisher..........something like this:

DBELL ROW X 3
STRAIGHT BAR ROW X 4
PULLOVERS X 3
WIDE GRIP CHINS X 3
CLOSE GRIP PULL DOWNS X 3
HYPERS X 3
DEADS X 4.............................THOUGHTS?

JKurz1 said:
Maybe for overall BODY development, but I would probably have to disagree for pure back mass.........IMO, str8 bar rows take the cake....or maybe dbell rows.........

Lately, I've been focusing on really pressing (and holding) my shoulders back at the top of my deadlift. Like a horizontal shrug. Sometimes I'll just do reps of only this movement. This KILLS my upper back without my biceps assisting the movement. Does it put on mass like BB rows? I don't know, but I can feel it working.

JKurz1 said:

Seems like the consensus is (for bodybuilders) to toss in some higher rep deads 3-4 sets, 6-10 reps as a finisher..........something like this:

DBELL ROW X 3
STRAIGHT BAR ROW X 4
PULLOVERS X 3
WIDE GRIP CHINS X 3
CLOSE GRIP PULL DOWNS X 3
HYPERS X 3
DEADS X 4.............................THOUGHTS?

I really like the idea of doing them at the very end of my back workout, especially since i dont do heavy deads and already do them for sets of 10.

Jkurz,
The deads following the hypers may wrench your back an awful lot...be careful...you have a lot to lose if something goes haywire.

My hypers are usually weight free.......no additional strain of the lower back.....3 sets of 20-25 reps for the burn............I like the idea of hitting deads and supersetting them with lat pulls............only problem is I don't think I can do my back routine without hitting deads first......I like to get the qorst part out of the way asap, i.e. squats, deads, etc.

Jkurz,
You like wide-grip lat pulls? I just dont feel a good pull when i hit them, too much in the center of my back and not my lats, no matter where i bring the bar down too. I feel a 100% more of a pull when i do close grip pulldowns on the lat tower.

Top Bottom