Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

thoughts on changing from bodybuilding to power lifting......

It seems to me that if you have worked so hard to attain a body builder's physique it would kind of all been a waste of time to go into powerlifting.

I'm not discouraging your choice if you decide to go into powerlifting but think of all the hard work you've put in.

I'd say powerlifting is more honorable. Less mental masturbation. Who would you want on your side?: some guy who can't stop staring at himself in the mirror or a guy who can throw 600 lbs off his chest? Don't get pissed guys, I've been drinking.

I used to be a power lifter.

I have tried to make the transition tobodybuilding.

My advice:
Powerlift when you are young. You get huge and strong and learn great form and build solid strenth. Many BB look great but are very weak.

I think the natural progression is to go from a power lifter to a BB. Not the other way.

They are two VERY different lifestyles. Both require very different workouts and diets.

In short: BB=easy workouts (many reps), insane diet I still cant do this right!)
Powerlifting=Insane workouts (get the puke bucket when doing legs) BUT really NO diet.

Just a lifestyle choice.

Tradeoffs: Bodybuilder: women tend to like this more.
Powerlifter: if someone pisses ou off, you can kill them. (people tend to get the hell out of you way when you are huge an strong)

a good PL book is: "Dinosaur Training" you can purchase from: www.ironmind.com

PL is all about building functional strength, which can benefit you Long Term. arguably, when you adopt the BB style of fitness, you are developing the muscles yet, there may be a deficiency with developing tendons, ligaments etc. thus is the reasons why i believe PL is better for me.

no disrespect against the BB style, but think about it for a minute, you will see a BB use straps to get that extra poundage up right ? well why doesn't he/she develop the grip strength instead of opting for the straps. a lot of the BB moves involve strenghtening and/or shapping the muscles but the tendons, ligaments, etc lag. PL involves building total body functional strength. my 2cc's

i converted into PL 2yrs ago, thanks to a few fellas from another board: Squatter, Todd_xxxx, Verbal Gorilla, Gforce and Stones.

why do people assume that to be a powerlifter you have to be fat?? True, there are alot pl's that aren't exactly lean....but that's because they don't watch what they eat. People who think that tell me they really don't know anything about BB'ing yet alone pl'ing. Keep it Beefy........do you think BB's get their cuts from what they do in the weightroom??......if you don't know this answer I'll provide it for you...........NO!! It's their diets. You obviously haven't seen Ronnie Coleman offseason........if you had you'd see that he looks like your average powerlifter, if not worse because of the steroid bloat. And if you ever watch World's strongest man, yeah you've got your stereotypical powerlifter type physiques......but than you have fucking specimens like Marius Pudzinowski, Juoko Ahola........and some German guy who's name escapes me right now. Those guys will urinate on any BB in terms of strength feats yet they compete at 8-10% bf. At 8-10% most BB'ers are starting to dial in for contests and are losing plates off their bench weekly.

Great post......:)

BigPhysicsBastard said:
why do people assume that to be a powerlifter you have to be fat?? True, there are alot pl's that aren't exactly lean....but that's because they don't watch what they eat. People who think that tell me they really don't know anything about BB'ing yet alone pl'ing. Keep it Beefy........do you think BB's get their cuts from what they do in the weightroom??......if you don't know this answer I'll provide it for you...........NO!! It's their diets. You obviously haven't seen Ronnie Coleman offseason........if you had you'd see that he looks like your average powerlifter, if not worse because of the steroid bloat. And if you ever watch World's strongest man, yeah you've got your stereotypical powerlifter type physiques......but than you have fucking specimens like Marius Pudzinowski, Juoko Ahola........and some German guy who's name escapes me right now. Those guys will urinate on any BB in terms of strength feats yet they compete at 8-10% bf. At 8-10% most BB'ers are starting to dial in for contests and are losing plates off their bench weekly.

if you are a competitive PLer, being fat actually has some advantages--it helps with leverage and reduces range of motion in some cases thus making lifts easier. BBing is purely cosmetic and is preferred by those who are into the vanity...PLer is more of a competitve athlete who trains for performance rather than looks.

Top Bottom