Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tempo of lift

boxbox545

How important is it to change tempos in certain lifts? I wanted to know if moving the weight fast will promote power and speed? What about super slow eccentric holds?

I think you should always do the concentric part as explosively as possible. I also think tempo training is a good and safe way to add some variety to your training. While I believe you should always perform the eccentric part of the motion in controlled manner I don't see any benefit of over-exaggerating it.

The main reason for this is that it's actually gonna accumulate so much fatigue it's actually gonna lower your performance.

How important is it to change tempos in certain lifts? I wanted to know if moving the weight fast will promote power and speed? What about super slow eccentric holds?

TUT (or Time under tension) is a key point to make muscle grow. The issue with the super slow protocol is guys become overly obsessed with the time over actually working hard. They also wimp out by using light weights

the point of lifting for most of us is breaking down the muscle in the gym. the recovery happens out of the gym. this involves a lot of time under tension, slow movement with 100% correct form.

if you are a powerlifter then yes you want to move the weight, like doing clean and jerks.

if you are an ego lifter which i see all the time, you put on 5 plates and do horrible deadlifts with bad form then hey that floats your boat.

the truth is over the long run the first way of doing it above is going to keep you healthy and yield the best results

Explosive positives and controlled slower negatives are good practice for hypertrophy. Dont overexaggerate the negative. A 2 to 3 second negative is plenty long. Just keep it controlled

Top Bottom