Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Taking anti psych meds while boxing

New Jack

I've been boxing now for a couple of months. I've been sparring and hope to have my first fight in about three months.

Long story short, I'm 22, don't use ANY anabolics, suffer from Bi Polar disorder, diagnosed by my docter, and I have mood swings. Sometimes I get so depressed and lazy I have trouble training. Other times I get so manic, I lose control and go all out after my sparring parters and therefore run out of gas early. This problem isn't limited to only boxing. I flip out or I'm like catatonic.

My question is this. Will taking anti psych meds 1) help me to calm down in the ring, therefore making me more relaxed and I'll have more stamina and will make me a better fighter. or 2) Make me so passive and lethargic where I won't be able to train, spar, or fight?

or should I take them while I train but days leading up to a fight stop use (like Tyson does?)

Please I need all the help I can get.

Thanks fellas.

If you take them, DO NOT STOP for a fight or any other reason. Use them exactly as your doc tells you to. Bi-polar is nothing to fuck around with and if you haven't taken meds yet, it may take some time before you find one that works for you. Unfortunately its a process of trial and error many times.

No one cam tell you how these meds will effect you in or out of the ring because each one has slightly different sides, and effects each person slightly different.

I kicked the shit out of my brother in law before I knew he was bi-polar. After that I've watched him go through many...many drugs to try and help. Some wear off too soon, others only make the conditions worse. He found one a year ago that has continued to work, so it looks good.

Anyway, good luck

Thaibox said:
If you take them, DO NOT STOP for a fight or any other reason. Use them exactly as your doc tells you to. Bi-polar is nothing to fuck around with and if you haven't taken meds yet, it may take some time before you find one that works for you. Unfortunately its a process of trial and error many times.

No one cam tell you how these meds will effect you in or out of the ring because each one has slightly different sides, and effects each person slightly different.

I kicked the shit out of my brother in law before I knew he was bi-polar. After that I've watched him go through many...many drugs to try and help. Some wear off too soon, others only make the conditions worse. He found one a year ago that has continued to work, so it looks good.

Anyway, good luck

Thaibox, you always give damn good advice.

New Jack, the most important thing about treating your illness is that you take charge of being medication compliant. Do what your doctor says... and don't stop taking your meds for any reason.

Agreed.... I am Manic as well, and am fine when medicated... but DON'T ever stop, and try to take the meds at the same time everyday...

You should be fine...

But again... trial and error... effexor XR didn't do shit for me, neither did another one (can't remember the name right now) but Celexa seems to work great... I have no sides with it at all...

I am bipolar. DON'T STOP TAKING the meds, whatever you do.

Also, make sure you get the right clearance for taking the meds from your doc and whatever association regulates your fights, if they drug test and get pissy with you.

If the med you are on causes big problems, talk to your doc about it. Sports and fitness will go a long way to keeping you healthy, so a med that interferes majorly with that would be compromising your health.

If it's lithium, make sure you don't get dehydrated as tendency to dehydrate tends to be a side.

Top Bottom