Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tackling the 20-rep monster...

D

Debaser

As some of you know I'm a big advocate of 20-rep breathing squats. They are indisputably one of the most productive exercises in iron game history. Nothing, in my opinion, will force you to learn intensity and force of will like a set of these. Anyway, they're done by taking your 10 rep max, and doing 20 reps with it. Here is a nice description from Randall Strossen from the book "Super Squats":

"After the tenth rep, your body is done and your mind becomes the vehicle that either moves or stalls in the face of the challenge to reach the twentieth rep. At least three deep breaths, lots of positive self-instruction and the eleventh rep is history. More of the same for another rep or two and then the breathing and psyching become more serious. Maybe five to ten lung-bursting breaths in between each rep, your mind humming at psychedelic levels and your demeanor ferocious as a Ninja warrior, get you up to rep number fifteen. Now the game changes again because not only do the breathing and the pep talks become still more important, but each squat becomes an event performed ina dilated-time capsule where you, as you, fade, becoming more of an observer than an actor. If your mind falters, you are dead meat now, so you either get tough and grow, or cave in and stay small.

By rep sixteen the bar cuts deeply into your back and mashes your entire body into the floor, giving you a new sense of appreciation for Newton's analyses of gravity. Your breathing sounds like a steam engine and your legs are probably starting to shake. Sheer willpower is the only way to make that rep. You remember that everything else was just a warm-up for the last several reps-they're the ones that make you grow- and you are blind to everything but the pattern: breathe, squat, rise. By the time you finish the eigteenth rep, you are guaranteed of completing the set if you psyched up properly beforehand, becaue what has become the most important thing in the world to you- knocking off those twenty reps- is within sight. It doesn't matter if each of those last two reps takes ten deep breaths, drives you berserk, leaves you purple-faced and quivering as you fight your way back up, through the sticking point of each squat: You are not going to be denied victory. When you complete the twentieth rep and manage to get the bar back on the squat racks, reeling with fatigue-induced delirium, you collapse on a bench for a set of light pullovers to stretch your rib cage, expanding the framework for the slabs of muscle you are adding to your upper body. After the squats and pullovers are done, you might pass out, puke, think you have gone over the edge, or be incapable of walking up or down a flight of staris to save your life - but get some rest, drink your milk and go back at it in a few more days. The same thing all over again, but with five more pounds."

I have to admit that this has to be one of the most brutal training techniques ever, but I have trouble maintaining form on such a high rep set

I would agree. I actually do a few minutes of mental preparation before going through with it, almost like meditation lol. I try and tell myself that if I break form, the rep doesn't count.

For me personally i feel that the 20 rep squat / leg press / hack squat (1 exercise per leg day) that i've been employing lately after one heavy set has helped me a ton.

Reps 1 - 10 = hard, but im not even thinking about the actual set yet.

Reps 10 - 15 = just the lead up to the good stuff

Rep 15 = Ok start to focus, 5 reps to satisfaction, 5 deep breaths

Rep 16 = Christ, almost didnt make it, should i go for 18 reps only? another 5 deep breaths

Rep 17 = Don't pussy out at 18, you'll feel like an ass right after u finish off the set. Omg im gonna pass out, 10 deep breaths

Rep 18 = I cant really feel the burn anymore, basically its just me versus gravity and either i win or die, so i'd better win. Another 10 breaths, "might as well finish the last 2 since im so close to 20"

Rep 19 = Full effort, balls to the wall out. Another 10 breaths, and im thinking this is gonna be so good after this last rep, im gonna just do it, scream real loud and then pass out.

Rep 20 = See i knew i could do it, i didnt pussy out.

For me personally once i get to rep 15, i know i can get to rep 20. The pain / burn doesnt affect me anymore, its basically just my laziness fighting my determination, and i have to fight it every damn time i do the 20 rep exercise.

Damn good fight too... and in the past 4 months, ive only lost once... due to poor footing :mad:

bah 20 reps aer for pussies, i do 42 rep squats =) lol

no im not joking, but theres a stupid story behind it

I've tried it a couple times. My legs were sore for at least a week. I don't think I've ever breathed so hard in my life.

When I used to perform 20 rep squats. . . I would always aim for 21 to 22 reps just so show I was willing to go the distance.

Of course, I wouldn't eat for 4 hours before a brutal session like this.

Top Bottom