Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supersetting antagonist group

Bong Hog

I tried a GM/leg ext/calf raise giant set yesterday after front squats, and I must say, it was a GREAT workout. Kept my heart rate way up, and I didn't feel any fatigue prior to each set. It's almost like the leg extensions helped work the lactic acid out of the hammies before it was time for the GM's again. And I felt absolutely NO antagonism from the hammies on the leg ext, and vice versa, so the weight felt "lighter" somehow. I don't normally do leg extensions, but my GM numbers were a personal best. A great workout indeed.

I've heard it been said that working the antagonist first will help you in your lift, but I never believed it until I tried it. I searched this and other forums, but couldn't find any useful info. So, anyone care to share their experiences with supersetting, or have any scientific info on the subject?

Now because yesterday's workout was so intense, I'm seriously considering trying an upper/lower body split just so I can superset my upperbody as well. Something like this is what I might try:

Wide-grip Decline Bench
High Row or Reverse Fly

Close-Grip Incline Bench
Cable Row or DB Row

Military Press
Chins

Tricep Extension
BB Curl

Three sets of each with two minutes rest between each superset.

It seems to me that supersetting in this way in a bodybuiling aspect (slow negs, 8-10 reps, not to total failure) could be quite useful. It seems also that the increased intensity would release more hormones due to the increased stress, kind of like why compound is better than isolation. Training this way could be done more frequently as well due to decreased recovery time as long as sets aren't taken too far into failure. I always hated working sore muscles as antagonists anyway. It just didn't seem right.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Let's hear it...

Whenever I have had a work out like that it has been kind of a fluke, I can't replicate it for several workouts later. Going super heavy on a circuit like that just doesn't work for me.

That said, there are certain combinations that work for me for some reason, like you said with very little fatigue between sets. I think it is an individual thing.

The best combo for me is Deadlifts and seated calf raises. I can go straight from DLs to the calves. But I do need a break before the next set of DLs.

I NEVER superset anything with squats. I used to do with pull ups, which was ~OK~ but not great. I used to do 'em with the calf raises but the calves go WAY better with the DLs.

Another combo that worked for me a few days ago as an experiment was front squats with SLDLs. That was pretty cool.

Curls with bench press, still mulling over that one.

DB Side raises with dips, that's a good one.

Pull ups with shrugs, another good one.

Well those are some of the combos that work well for me.

JC

I do something similar, but not always opposing muscle groups, I try and pick one larger muscle and superset it with a smaller one, ie, chest and abs

i never really stretch before i workout per say.

i do a lot of warm up sets starting with the bar and working up to my weight.

but if im squatting or deadlifting...... i will warm up my abs.

if im squatting i stretch ham not quad.

i force blood into triceps before biceps.

and flex biceps to stretch triceps.

working the opposite side is good...... but i have never really tried it as a philosophy.

keep us posted.

X

Top Bottom