Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sumo DL vs Traditional

halfaclue

Banned
For body building purposes which is better? Also i do not really see the point in the Sumo's because you use so much less leg. What am i missing?

I think sumo works out the glutes and back more than the regular which also works quads and hams... I may be wrong though.
One thing I know is that some people are more comfortable with one than the other because of their height and anatomical structure.

It all depends on your goals. For bodybuilding purposes, conventional deads recruit more muscles, which I think would be ideal for a BB. In powerlifting, I think it is a good idea to try them both and then train the weaker one, and pull the one you are most comfortable with in competition. For athletes, I like conventional because it recruits more muscle. However, for speed work, I like sumo because it is a short, explosive little pull.

I'm looking for body building so I'll stick with the traditional style. I currently have my hands offset as one faces up and one faces down. Should i rotate them or will it not matter. It feels like the one palm up puts more strain on that bicep. Just curious.

Backlash said:
I would say that you actually use more leg in sumos, and more back in conventional.

ok, but that would be quads not the hams so much right? (sorry but I am pretty new to deads and have not tried sumo's yet so I am just assuming what seems to be logical.)

You won't find much quad in either kind of deadlift. You'll find MUCH more hamstring than quad in both styles.

Cuthbert said:
You won't find much quad in either kind of deadlift. You'll find MUCH more hamstring than quad in both styles.

Yes I know this, so you are saying that sumo's use more hams than conventional? I am trying to figure outr how this makes sense. I guess I will have to try them to feel it for myself in order to understand why.

Allon said:
Yes I know this, so you are saying that sumo's use more hams than conventional? I am trying to figure outr how this makes sense. I guess I will have to try them to feel it for myself in order to understand why.

exactly... sumo dls use more hams- but mostly hit glutes (same as wide stance squats).

Top Bottom