Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sumo or conventional??

So what is it for you guys?

I have been pulling my heaviest doing conventional since I started. I was always weak at sumo in relation to my conventional. Anyway, I've been doing a basic Westside for 6 weeks now and today I figured I'd pull sumo since it was one of my weak points. Well, I topped my best ever conventional dead by 30 lbs!! It was awesome. All those box squats, zerchers, pull throughs, etc have done me well.

Anyone wondering, I pulled 375@152. Nothing to write home about for most of ya, but it happens to be my best lift and I am proud of how far I've come. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same for my benches and squats soon.

I hit it conventional...I tried sumo but it didn't feel natural. I think it depends on how your built....leverage and so on....

im with you IRBDL, after all the wide box squats and good mornings , sumos are now a breeze and i used to not even be able to do them

I do both, but in different ways. I really do not deadlift very often and my rack is not wide enough for me to fully sumo. I often do a wide stance rev grip dead to simulate my events because it causes you to lift with a rounded back. I also elevate my feet to where the bar is nearly touching my feet.

Heck of a job big man...no matter what you think...what you did IS impressive.

B True

I actually never deadlifted much unless it was a trap bar deadlift , where you have no choice but to keep your feet conventional. I started doing deadlifts and I used sumo stance because I figure I squat pretty wide I might as well deadlift with the same foot position. Anyway I worked the sumo for a few weeks then one day I decided to try a conventional style with my legs closer , I pulled almost 100 pounds more and absolutely molested my sumo pr. Needless to sa I knwo which stance is biomechanically correct for me.

Mike

I suggest everyone try both to find out which one they really excel at.

i have a sumo's build...... i can pull a hole lot more that way

you have me all giddy though..... i have 8 days untill i max on everything........... i would be happy to pull 4 plates.

but i could have probably done that prior to Westside.

i will report and let you guys know

great job........ i know how you feel..... in high school.... i use to brag to everyone about my lifts and they would just all laugh because they were doing so much more....... i have always valued the percentage of a lift via bodyweight.

X

oh yeah..... i read from i think Louie Simmons that he said (him or Dave Tate)....... that a great deadlifter will be able to conventional, sumo, or straight-leg deadlift the same...... if you cant then you have a weakness to figure out an correct.

Thanks guys!

Like some of you have pointed out, I won't just pull sumo now, I'll still be doing conventional, rack pulls, deads off a block, sldl and other variations. I just wanted to point out that I thought I was better suited for conventional, but meanwhile it was prolly just because my hips weren't strong enough to pull in sumo. Strengthen them hips and you may change your style.

Keep deaden!!

Top Bottom