Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sumo or Conventional

Sergeant

I am new to P.L. but have always done Conventional. Recently have started doing half my sets Sumo. I feel the Sumo is more like a half squat. Are there any benefits to either? What stance are the bigger lifts being attained with? If I use the Sumo do I have to worry more about overtraining along with the squat? Should I stick to one stance or are there benifits to training both stances?

Sorry for all the questions.

I dont think you can go wrong with either. Both work. I would experiment with both and which ever feels more comfortable use it. I have tried both and i think sumo would be easier but it just feels awkward to me. With sumo its harder to get moving and easier to lockout. Conventional its the opposite.

From what I've heard sumo puts more strain on the inner thigh. Therefore if your legs are strong all around then you can easily do all type of deadlifts if you feel that your doing less weight with convesional then do those, if not then do sumo's.

Don't forget

There are also variations in sumo stance. Ed Coan used to pull a narrow stance sumo, with his legs about out to his squat stance width(+/- a couple of inches). And did quite well.

One of the guys who inspired me when I started training was Steve Scialpa and he pulled some great numbers(~800 at 198 or 220) with a wide stance sumo. You can do it either way.

Honestly I have thought of doing sumo stiff leg dls. Seriously. Might be a good assistance exercise for glutes. Worth trying when you feel like screwing around in the gym someday.

Personally I would probably be better suited to a stiff leg Gary Heisy(his 900+ pulls are damn near stiff leg) type stance if my back wasn't fucked up. So I pull sumo for my fubar back. Though I may change that this year. If I can get reverse hypers up to 300(*6-12 reps) then I might start pulling conventional. I only have about 100 pounds to go this year. Need to get my ass in gear to hit it, but it is doable. Need to get my rack pulls up by about the same amount. So I have some big doable goals this year.

Thanks The Mann. I am going big! If something goes wrong oh well i will settle for no less then my opener as a new meet PR. Then the next 2 will be big!

I do a very wide sumo and will never go back to conventional for my maxes. I have my toes maybe an inch away from the plates. I have almost caught them a few times on max sets on the way down. Scary shiat.

When you pull that wide how in the hell do you getthe bar moving with any speed? I mean if theres a way i am listning. I can pull sumo decently till i get over 500 and it just slows down. If i could get a good snap off the bottom it would work fo rme.

Well, I'm not up that heavy yet, but I have hit 405@150 lbs on 3 occasions now.

A tip I got from a friend is to chalk up and get my self psyched up for the lift. I tighten my belt and then walk over to the bar. I first put my right foot in position, then I move my left in. I get both feet nice and wide, toes pointed out and I'm ready to rock. I'm still in a standing position and I take 3 breaths, the last one the biggest and I hold it. Take a quick dip about half way down, then back up quick and then I do my 3 favorite things:

Dip
Grip
Rip

My friend pointed out the fact that he sees many lifters get down and work their grip into the bar and they stay in the bent-over position for too long. He felt this took him out of his zone and took too much out of him. Also, the initial little dip you do before you go down to grab the bar is supposed to somehow do something with kinetic energy that will help your pull off the floor. I don't know if any of this makes sense to you, but since I have made these adjustments my dead has gone up and it just seems easier.

Top Bottom