Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Stretching Before Lifting?

Elementality

I've read contradicting views on this. Some people say just get your heart rate up, start lifting low weight and build up to max like a 5x5 approach. Others say, stretch thoroughly after warmup, then go do sets at medium to heavy.

So, stretch before or after a lift? This question is aimed for core lifts like squats.

Elementality said:
I've read contradicting views on this. Some people say just get your heart rate up, start lifting low weight and build up to max like a 5x5 approach. Others say, stretch thoroughly after warmup, then go do sets at medium to heavy.

So, stretch before or after a lift? This question is aimed for core lifts like squats.

Stretching and HR are both good. You definitely want to stretch your legs before doing squats. Strectching out your hammies and quads are a good idea. It doesn't take anything away from or add to the workout. It helps prevent injury is all.

I stretch for like 1 minute before performing each sets of sets. No bog deal, but no need to stretch for 30 minutes prior to lifting, thats goofy.

Get the HR up and stretch out a little. There are only pros to stretching a little, no cons I can think of.

IMO. Just do a quick full body stretch after whatever warm up you do, before your entire workout.

This is what I do. I just hold each stretch I do for about 5 seconds.

I've never been injured lifting weights.

I like to do long stretches after working out. Holding each for about 30-45 secs, where its just slightly uncomfortable. Before, riding a bike, jogging, or using an eliptical to warm up usually is fine with me.

From what I've heard, static stretching before lowers performance because it causes your muscles to relax. Stretching after is better for flexibility anyway.

Oniw17 said:
From what I've heard, static stretching before lowers performance because it causes your muscles to relax. Stretching after is better for flexibility anyway.

+1

This is the latest although a bit 'flys in the face of common knowledge', my physio fills me in on a lot of the latest performance studies.

I am sure some of the MD mag science blurbs have also stated this.

Stretching before puts people at MORE of a risk of injury.

Warming up with walking or bike is beneficial though.

I would have to check, but I think it is also best to wait about an hour after training to stretch.

I just warm up with the exercise I am about to do. After I am done lifting I do some extreme stretching. I also like to save specific exercises for the end that involve stretching such as flyes for chest and pullovers for back.

GUARDIAN said:
I just warm up with the exercise I am about to do. After I am done lifting I do some extreme stretching. I also like to save specific exercises for the end that involve stretching such as flyes for chest and pullovers for back.

BINGO, that too.

Forgot that part. What a team. :)

Dynamic stretching, doing a light set of the exercise you are going to do is the best way to warm up.

stretching before exercise effects the stretch reflex of the muscle. not good and any stretching when the muscle and joint are not completely warm is an injury waiting to happen.

Tatyana said:
+1

This is the latest although a bit 'flys in the face of common knowledge', my physio fills me in on a lot of the latest performance studies.

I am sure some of the MD mag science blurbs have also stated this.

Stretching before puts people at MORE of a risk of injury.

Warming up with walking or bike is beneficial though.

I would have to check, but I think it is also best to wait about an hour after training to stretch.

I have just recently read a white paper on this and it seems to agree with this the one thing it does state is a short stretch out of the muscle group you are not training is a nono just a brief stretch of the area you are training

Top Bottom