Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strength training = mass training as a teen?

ark94

I have used the search feature, and not really gotten the answers I wanted.
Strength and Mass....

If you lift more, and you lift a lot, should you not technically be bigger?
Can you do lifts like bench, deadlift, whatnot in a rep range that people use for mass to build mass?
Or do you have to specifically train size, like isolation lifts to put on mass. Or can you train strength and get as big as you would train mass?

Another thing, being a teenager your testosterone levels and everything is usually higher, than opposed to when your older like 20’s +. So if you want to put on solid mass, would it not be better to train mass young? Then switch to strength as you are older? Because when you get older, you will generally be stronger, and being young and growing up your on steroids, going through puberty and growing up in general. So would it not be smarter if somebody who wants to be big, and train for size to train size when he is young? Or can I get the same results as I would want training for strength?

I have been under the assumption that training for strength, would get you big. If your weights are increasing, shouldn’t you get bigger? Or is there stuff about this hypertrophy or what not that make a difference for size? Say if I wanted to get size, but not drop deadlifts and bench, military could I? Or do I have to solely do isolation lifts, like shoulder shrugs, bicep curls, triceps etc etc.

People have been under the assumption that I wanted to train strength, I actually want mass, but if strength training would get me the same mass as specifically training mass would, then I will do whatever.

Is there not point in training mass, if you can’t lift like 315 deadlift, 185 bench, and 225 squat? OR can you train mass whenever? Also being young, what would you suggest if you want to be big, rather than strong. I too want to be strong, but that would be later on in life.

Last edited:
Just got a lot of info from Joe D. Not sure if my post made much sense either lol.

But if anybody would like to give some input then great

From what I have heard, your best gains will come right after 20 or so. If you think about it, how many teenagers do you know that are jacked, and I mean truly jacked? Not too many. But at 18+ gains will come much faster.

From what I have heard, your best gains will come right after 20 or so. If you think about it, how many teenagers do you know that are jacked, and I mean truly jacked? Not too many. But at 18+ gains will come much faster.

Lol very true, but how many 18 year olds train their role body, as opposed to just their upper lol.

But yeah i understand what you mean. I won't say that i hate strength, i love it i was just unsure if it will get me mass. But that goes along with a good diet. So i just have to keep on training, and see where i get.

its said that a man produces the most testosterone of his lifetime during his late 20's. With being a teen it just goes from nothing to relativley high in no time. so the new horomones are very noticable. the same with gh. those horomones will eventually level off and slowly increase over the males 20's then plateau and begin a decent in his mid 30's depending on the man.
as for specificity of training. no matter what you intend to train for there will be size and strength increases. its nothing that will make any difference over a few months, but years yes. if you train heavy weight low reps strength/power exercises for a long period of time you may not be as muscular as someone who had the same starting weight and height. he trained higher reps more sets less rep bodybuilding type exercises for the same time period. he may end up out weighing you, but id bet you'd out lift him. in my mind its all goals. size and strength go hand in hand but the one you focus on more is the on you will excell at.

if test is in a normal range mass gain is possible. its all in the diet. teens dont understand that and if they do they are usually misguided and still under eat while screwing up their physical development. teens that want to grow mass need a high fat, high carb, moderate protein diet. they need to eat every couple hours, and really need to keep it clean. the carbs need to be from a broad range of sources (fruits, berries, veggies, grains) and at a canstant supply.

going all out and trying to become a freak is a bad idea and will likely cause problems later. you have to find the happy medium.

if test is in a normal range mass gain is possible. its all in the diet. teens dont understand that and if they do they are usually misguided and still under eat while screwing up their physical development. teens that want to grow mass need a high fat, high carb, moderate protein diet. they need to eat every couple hours, and really need to keep it clean. the carbs need to be from a broad range of sources (fruits, berries, veggies, grains) and at a canstant supply.

going all out and trying to become a freak is a bad idea and will likely cause problems later. you have to find the happy medium.

thats for sure, diet is paramount. took me until after high school to figure that out and im still learning.

I cant tell you how well it will work out for you but Ill give you my personal experience:

my diet is quite inconsistent, I just try to eat as much as I can each day. Try to eat alot of meat (usually have 2 or 3 meat meals a day) always try to have one meal of 4-6 whole large eggs and if its a training day I will have a pwo shake meal of 45-60g protein and 30-60g carbs. I try to drink as much milk as I can too. Lately I have been trying to eat as much carbs as I can too whether they be slow or fast, but basing my meals around slow carbs. When I first started it was much worse than this, and I spent the summer of 2009 fucking up my diet trying to loose bodyfat...

Needless to say my diet could be better. But Iv trained with strength based routines since I started and Iv taken my bodyweight from 148 to 204 and been around what looks to be 18-20% bf the whole time. My mass gains have been slow but steady and my strength gains have come in big bursts seperated by injuries. Iv found it very easy to get injured and that constantly holds me back. My deadlift has gone from 132x13 to 308x5 and 314x3. My bench from 66x10 to 198x9 and 220x3. My squat is harder to say because when I started I was squatting with no rack and doing zercher squats so my squats were very weak but my first page on my log says my first zercher squat session got up to 105x15, dont know how deep it was or how good the form was though. Now I have ATG squatted 231x7.

I have had some very bad elbow pains when I started training, Iv strained a rotator cuff from bad form on my bench to the point where I couldnt lift my arms up at all when I first woke up until it was healed. Iv twisted my lower back boxing once, and had two twist injuries in my mid-upper spinal erector on the right hand side. So be careful of this, Im pretty sure its because you can make very fast strength gains as a teen and form and tendons or stabiliser muscles cant keep up.

I could post a progress pic from when I started if you like...

Damn EM your all banged out. And I thought I had it bad whining about my shoulder and shin splints. Keep pushin man.

Damn EM your all banged out. And I thought I had it bad whining about my shoulder and shin splints. Keep pushin man.

Watch this video for the true definition of all banged out lol!
TMUSCLE.com | Death Squat

The list of Dave Tate's injuries is like halfway through, I would watch the whole video though it is good shit. But the list goes on for like 30 seconds......

Top Bottom