Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strength and Judo.... little guys have amazing strength

R

revexrevex

So today I decided to do a little grappling for some cardio. Out of the 30 people on the team I am the strongest in gym lifts out of all them. I thought I would do good after so much time being off the mat.....

First opponent was a 200 lb guy yellow belt, tapped him out 3 times no problem.

Next guy was a 5'2, 130 lb guy. High degreeee brown belt. No muscle on his frame. What happened next was unbelievable.

The guy was so freaking agile and quick. Whenever I tried to grasp his gi for some stability, he immediately would go to my side and over my back to a rear naked choke. I had to escape from probably 4 arm locks during the first 5 minutes. I was much much stronger than him, whenever he would end up on top of me, I would just bench press him, and he would just fly to the side... giving me a quick breather, and then would quickly attack me again. He was doing some sick shit that you see on UFC/

Finally after 20 minutes of grappling they broke us up with the whole gym staring at us. I have now an almost dislocated shoulder because I refused to tap out, a huge gash on my neck, half of my face is blue and I am incredibly tired. The guy was as fresh as if he would step on the mat.

I have new found respect for this kind of people. I talked to him a little about compound exercises like deadlifts and pullups for judo, and he will start gym work very soon because I convinced him it would help him.

I was a little embarassed too in front of everyone because I lost to a guy who I outweighted by almost 100 lbs. Icing my shoulder now..... hurts my ego :)

Knowing the game...and how to play it...makes a big difference.

B True

You lack "functional" strength :D
Umm sports specific strength...
lateral movement isn't something one would do a lot in the gym.

and the skill off course :)

Grip work - thick bar lifts would help a lot for Judo. Grip holding strength.

Bro, you should train with him and he should train with you. Sounds like each of you can learn a lot from each other.

CoolColJ... yea I understand that, but shouldnt even the general strength training program give me an advantage over him?

I have to admit that I had advantage over him many times but simply lacked the skill to finish anything.... he was a freaking tank

Well you do, but you just don't know how to apply it that's all :)

If you both had the same skill level, your size and strength would kick his ass.
But he has better skill, and speed by your description, and he knows how to apply it, so you are at a big disadvantage.
Plus you lack the specifc conditioning.

It's just like saying that someone who can vertical jump 40inches will be able to dunk a BBall, chances are they will find it hard, becuase they lack the coordination to do so.

Get the skill and kick his ass in time :)
I bet he had his own worries anyway :D

Good posts by CCJ and Zander....

Good story too... Takes some guts to admit one got owned, but that is where the learning and progress begins....

Yo playa, Revex too much muscle hinders one's fighting ability, I know at current weight I could not wrestle again, even though I am the strongest I have been I am not conditioned to wrestle anyhmore. It is a sacrifice you have to make, be good at both, or great at one while the other you are just mediocre

Top Bottom