Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Stiff Legged Deadlift Vs Regular Deadlift.

S

SSAlexSS

Hello all!

Small question: What is the better power exercise? Deadlift or Stiffy? What produces more anabolic hormone?

Also Deadlift is supposed to work lower back and stiffy works ham's. Why does my stiffy gives my lower back more work than DEADLIFT (which supposed to work back to the max)

Reply please!

Thanks!

SLDL's use the lower back to a fuller range of motion so you'd obviously feel them more in your back. They do hamstrings to a large extent also.

What do you mean by power exercise? I'm not entirely sure on the question, but i can tell you that conventional deadlifts are used by powerlifters. Does that answer you question?

'BSmooth': don't be nasty. He is refering to the release of growth hormone. I'm not sure which releases more but i can tell you that heavy squats release the most.

as for which is better power?
it would be the regular dl, since your back is more neutral and you drive with your legs. stiff legs are a bit more delicate in that respect.
as far as releasing more testosterone. well there is more leg work involved with regular d.l.s and so maybe a bit more overall stress to your system. youre not looking at a super noticable difference here though. definitely not similar to a comparison of creatine and dbol.
now, stiff leg variation of the dl take you through more of a range of motion so of course you will feel it in your lower back. both hit the hams. the only reason reg d.l.'s hit "back to the max" is the stress you can put on your back. since you are not as precarious with your range of motion and you handle heavier weight. with reg dl you may feel it more in your traps more and lats but i tend to feel it the same with both.

but for overall power, stick with the standard d.l. and you should be happy.

Originally posted by bignate73:
as for which is better power?
it would be the regular dl, since your back is more neutral and you drive with your legs. stiff legs are a bit more delicate in that respect.
as far as releasing more testosterone. well there is more leg work involved with regular d.l.s and so maybe a bit more overall stress to your system. youre not looking at a super noticable difference here though. definitely not similar to a comparison of creatine and dbol.
now, stiff leg variation of the dl take you through more of a range of motion so of course you will feel it in your lower back. both hit the hams. the only reason reg d.l.'s hit "back to the max" is the stress you can put on your back. since you are not as precarious with your range of motion and you handle heavier weight. with reg dl you may feel it more in your traps more and lats but i tend to feel it the same with both.

but for overall power, stick with the standard d.l. and you should be happy.

Thank you for your answer. That is what I needed to know.

My apologies for that last rude comment. I like stiff legged deadlifts the best personally. I feel it mostly in my lower back, but also in my upper back, rear delts and even tris.

Deadlifts are essentially a full-body workout. If you do them strictly, you will be more tired from deadlifts than anything else you do in your entire routine. Deadlifts target the lower back as the primary muscle group, but almost every other major muscle group is secondarily worked.

Stiff-legged deadlifts are, as you said, hamstring exercises, but I do notice some back pulling when I do them. I believe this is more because of stabilization of the body than directly working the back. I could be wrong there. Regardless, I would do both of them on days you are doing your back and your legs respectively.

Make sure you have good form on the deadlifts though (don't curve your back) because if done incorrectly they can be very dangerous (and they are the easiest exercise to do incorrectly IMO).

Originally posted by LeviathanX:
If you do them strictly, you will be more tired from deadlifts than anything else you do in your entire routine.

I agree 100%. After my deadlifts are over my heart is throbbing and I can't hardly find the energy to do any of my assitance work.

Top Bottom