Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is The Stationary Bike Effective For Cardio? What Do You Think???

Texas Ranger

I just read an article in this month's Muscle Media magazine that ranked the top 5 pieces of exercise equipment. The Treadmill came in first, but the Elliptical & Stairmaster were tied for 3rd and the rowing machine placed last. What TRULY suprised me was that the Stationary Bike came in second!! Is it REALLY that effective in burning calories and helping to lower bodyfat??? Does anyone use it as their main source of cardio???

I notice favourable results using the exercycle, it's one method of cardio I can easily stick to, as I get on and read elite posts and other articles each morning when I do it.

A guy in exercise science told me that any cardio that you are sitting on your butt is less effective than those that have your weight on your feet. He also said when you use the elliptical striders, not to put your hands down on the bars. $.02

I use a recumbant bike. Seems to work. A treadmill would`nt fit in my basement.

As long as your heart rate is up to the target level I`m not sure it would matter. You`re not targeting muscles, You want energy expenditure or increased heart rate. IMO

I read the same thing while at the airport the other day. Every morning I ride balls out on my stationary bike for 5 minutes to get my heart racing, then I jump on the stair master for 10min and then the treadmill for 30min. Seems to work fine as long as you go hard. I try and keep my speed at around 120-130 rpm on the bike

i dont like the stationary bike. i cant really get my heart rate up to where i'd like to without feeling like the bike is gonna break or something .. nothing beats running in my mind, or better yet, swimming!

Texas Ranger said:
Guys, what if you had to choose one piece of equipment for the house to do cardio? Which one would it be a Staionary/Recumbent Bike? Or The Elliptical Trainer? This is the bike I'm lookin at. http://www.epinions.com/content_73000390276 This is the Elliptical Trainer. http://www.fitnessquest.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=fq/itemdetl.html?id=573165

I would pick a treadmill, but it does`nt fit in my low ceiling basement.

To choose between those two you have there. I would go with the elliptical. cause it looks like a better quality than the bike.

Top Bottom