Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

starting BJJ training tommorow

almost-pro

Was in and out of TKD for a few years. Been researching different styles for a few months now and decided on BJJ. First session is tommorow night @ 6 so I am really looking forward to it. Instructor told me its not like the formal style of TKD where you advance based on alot of memorization and repetitive action, but rather you advance based on skill and there is really no set tests for advancement. That is one thing I like about this school.

where is it? or who is the teacher?

i switched from tkd to grappling and loved it from day 1 :)

Snyders TKD America in High Point, NC. The "gym" if that's what you call it is split up into a few different areas. The biggest part is for TKD and kickboxing students. The smaller areas are for BJJ and weeping jui-jitsu. Steve Snyder is the instructor.

is the tkd and bjj mixed in or is there a bjj only class?

Judo Tom said:
is the tkd and bjj mixed in or is there a bjj only class?

no its not mixed. just BJJ. TKD is in another room of the gym. Tonight was first class and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait till next class. I almost wish they would have been more rough with me but I guess they take it easy on new students but I almost felt babied. Learned some good basics of ground fighting though which was really cool.

almost-pro said:
no its not mixed. just BJJ. TKD is in another room of the gym. Tonight was first class and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait till next class. I almost wish they would have been more rough with me but I guess they take it easy on new students but I almost felt babied. Learned some good basics of ground fighting though which was really cool.

Learn you basics and a damn good defense.

They probably won't be so nice once you start getting the moves down.

what have you learned so far?

i know it sounds strange coming from a judo guy but i really like bjj's self defense standing techniques. at least the ones i have learned

So far we have just done basic ground defense. I did alot of drills in the guard and mounted positions. Alot of repetitive stuff, over and over and over until I couldn't breath. lol He did show me an arm bar from the mounted position and we did some drills with it, so it was pretty cool. He said he will not teach me much standup defense/takedowns until I get my ground defense down well.

cool sounds good.. those were the first ground techniques i learned as well when i took bjj

your endurance will pick up real quick

Top Bottom