Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Started out wrong!! Bad Training!!

Yeah that's like endurance workout eh, seems like it would be more of a toning workout , but tone is good too :)

It seems that way but get this, there's actually studies backing up his point. Last months Ironman mentioned one. Basically the study said using light weight and high reps/long time under tension produced more markers for hypertrophy. The science is there, the fact is that a lot of us average white guys have endurance orientated fibers we don't hit with quick sets and we can pack on some mass with sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

My question is- and this was brought up in the Ironman article I read- can anybody stick to this type of training? They brought up the experience of Tim Ferriss, the 4 Hour Work Week and 4 Hour Body guy. He went so far as to have his DNA tested to determine his fiber makeup, found out he had a slow twitch makeup, consulted Casey Viator about the Colorado experiment, and did sets lasting over a minute with light weight. Put on an assload of muscle in a few weeks.

Where are you Gettingtobigformydesmo I'm sure you can add to this.

Hello flex, yes it's definitely a interesting debate and I'm sure it will never truly be answered.

The difficulty with scientific publications is that, the populous used have great hetergenatity - being the participants varying substantially (ie body types, genetic makeup, training history) and dissemination of the findings hard to interpret. In short, there are too many variables that cannot be controlled.

We do genotyping, we look at what genes or markers patients posses in terms of how well muscles can be trained and principally how hard and what recovery is need to optimise recovery, and in turn we can predict which patient might benefit different rehab programmes, higher and lower intensity programmes respectively. I know this is a different angle but there seems to be good theory behind it. Genetic disposition is a contributing factor to recovery and is a factor for optimal hypertrophy.

I do believe training 70-80% of 1RM is the best for hypertrophy, but as discussed very much determined by the individual in question. In addition, using extended eccentric times are important, providing neccassry sheer forces (tension) to replicate micro muscle damage. For example ..... 3/4 seconds lowering, 1 sec hold, 2 sec concentric pushing the weight up with a 1 sec hold in each lowering and lifting phase in that repetition. Though again, training experience also effects percentages recommended for functional and maximum hypertrophy zones. There are so many area to discuss.

I ask a question? Does it really matter when taking AAS that we use the same hypertrophy training zones ie 70-80%? I'm sure a large number of members do take them, so only natural non users or in-between cycles this maybe applicable. My reasoning for this is that, with AAS the substantial gains in strength provides adequate overload and progression of weight being used, consequently muscle adaptations occur. As well as the other advantages of AAS in protein utilisation.

Would be nice to hear anyone else's thoughts....!!

Part of my confusion I guess lies in hearing somebody like Poliquin recommend the standard 70-80% of 1RM then recommending sets last 40-70 seconds. I don't understand how anybody can do that with up to 80% of their 1RM. Dunno what my max bench is at the moment, I use dumbbells and occasionally do dead stop bench presses in the rack. Let's assume it's 300. No way I can do 10 reps that last 5 seconds each with 240 pounds.

Yeah I think it can be a moot point at times with steroid users, because obviously there are a lot of other things going on. One point I've heard mentioned by Michael Gundhill, he suggests steroid users always cause more muscle damage with a similar workout. The net effect is anticatabolic he says, but they cause more muscle damage in the gym. And it's amazing that one pro does 20 second sets with partial range of motion and cheat reps and another does extended sets in perfect form and yet they produce similar results.

Top Bottom