Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Standing Dumbell Presses vs Seated Dumbell Presses

you have to balance yourself when standing -- you cant throw your back against the seat.... standing up you just have to worry about form -- I usually do overhead bb press and then ill sit and do db press...

considered a compound lift in the sense your legs and core have to be strong enough to support the weight being lifted..

i do standing barbell and seated dumbell

Standing is easier for me cause I can cheat a little and therefore lift more weight. Seated is a more controlled movement and probably a better range of motion with it.

I never do an exercise form a seated position if it can be done standing. When standing, you can use your legs to help out a bit when you get to higher weights. If you're sitting down and the weight gets too heavy, you're pretty much fucked.

i dont see where there could be a difference in range of motion??

you are using more muscle groups when standing. also you dont haveto cheat when standing. there are different variations of overhead press : jerk, push, strict. behind the neck etc.

imo a barbell is better suited for both, because the load is so much greater. plus how are you supposed to do heavy db's standing? have someone hand you the weights?

Hi All:

Thank you all....

My current shoulder workout:
3 sets 5 reps seated dumbell presses
3 sets 8 reps bent over (cable)
3 sets 8 reps side lateral raises(Cable)
3 sets 8 reps fornt raises(Cable)
Shrugs 3 sets of 8 reps or
Upright Rows 3 sets 8 reps(Cable)

Do overhead presses hit all of the delts?

If so. What are your thoughts on getting rid of all the cable work and doing both standing and seated overhead presses?

From a bodybuilding perspective, if you have all the time in the world to focus on tiny little details in your development, seated is probably slightly better. From and athletic perspective standing wins every time. Guess it depends on what you're goals are.

I perfer standing because of all the stabalizer muscles it works, like abs, obliques, and back. Those are all the hollywood muscles I want to work anyway. Plus, I dabble in some strong man competitions as a hobby, so I need the stabilization work.

Blane said:
Hi All:

Thank you all....

My current shoulder workout:
3 sets 5 reps seated dumbell presses
3 sets 8 reps bent over (cable)
3 sets 8 reps side lateral raises(Cable)
3 sets 8 reps fornt raises(Cable)
Shrugs 3 sets of 8 reps or
Upright Rows 3 sets 8 reps(Cable)

Do overhead presses hit all of the delts?

If so. What are your thoughts on getting rid of all the cable work and doing both standing and seated overhead presses?

I come from the school of thought that the big compound lifts give your shoulders all of the work they need. The standing barbell press pretty much works the entire shoulder, the bench press hammers the front delts, deadlifts build the traps, and barbell rows take care of the rear delts (as do pull-ups). I've just never been much of a believer in the isolated exercises like side/front or rear delt raises. The weight is so small compared to those other lifts that it just doesn't seem like it can have much of an impact. Shrugs are a good assistance exercise whenever you need time off from deadlifting.

Thank you all.

Standing bb presses it is.

I will need to decrease the poundage till my body gets used to the movement. I did standing dumbell presses the other day for my warmup sets. The benches were being used.

I remember thinking wow. My abs are weak!!!!!!! i could feel the challange of trying to stabalize. What should i be feeling when i do the standing bbpress? of course my shoulders..Should i arch the back? keep it straight. I was tempted to use my legs..ill fight that. slight bend in knees?

Please advise.......

Top Bottom