Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Stalling on Intermediate 5x5

Mr.Y

I am on Madcow's program and just finished 8th week. I will stall on Monday... barely got the 3 today. The rows and squats are going up flawlessly. I'd need to progress till 13-14th week to bench 220 as 1 rm. Right now I could at 200 or a bit less. Small weights and I should have no problems. I want to do this program again after I finish this. My weight is 180 but I am taking creatine (holding a bit water). I took it first time in my life few weeks ago though I didn't notice much usefulness. Only the first 2 weeks gained weight, about 6 lbs. I am sleeping 9-10 hours and I eat big time, for example gained 2 lbs last week... even a bit too much.

4 weeks progress sucks actually at my stats. What should I do to be able to put more weight on the bar? Maybe continue with 4 on Mon and 2 reps on Fri ? Or take a huge load of creatine? When I stall and keep the same weight I am sure I will get some weeks more progress but not till 13-14. I made a bet that I will bench 220 sooner than my friend because I was so sure about the effectiveness of this program.... now it seems it is a bit hyped up.

Why you so sure you will stall on monday ? and what is it you think you are going to stall on ?
I have done runs of 5x5 a few times and i have had a hard time getting the 3 reps on say bench press on the friday, thinking i will stall the following monday and then i have ended up just getting all 5 reps on the monday, just eat well and get good rest. If you do stall on monday then just try the 3 reps again the following friday and then 5 the monday after that. And don't worry about the creatine just eat good food.
And don't worry about the damn bench press, worry about your squat, if your squat goes up then your bench will follow, just focus on putting weight on the bar eating and resting. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint.

bigger squat = bigger bench - trite and horse piss.

My squat is ~1,5x times bigger than bench. It is going up why should I worry. I will if it doesn't. Row and squat feel light, bench was almost to failure - that is why I know I stall. And I have read about this program, that when you barely get the reps you shouldn't add weight. There has to be 1-2 reps left. I wanted a boost or smth or just drop the reps so I'll have 1 rep left even if I could barely get the 5. Once the bar is getting heavy I will start to bounce it off because going to failure is deadly to the progress and this program.

Mr.Y said:
bigger squat = bigger bench - trite and horse piss.

My squat is ~1,5x times bigger than bench. It is going up why should I worry. I will if it doesn't. Row and squat feel light, bench was almost to failure - that is why I know I stall. And I have read about this program, that when you barely get the reps you shouldn't add weight. There has to be 1-2 reps left. I wanted a boost or smth or just drop the reps so I'll have 1 rep left even if I could barely get the 5. Once the bar is getting heavy I will start to bounce it off because going to failure is deadly to the progress and this program.

Well you know best.

Bench is generally the first thing to stall on the 5x5, because prior to following it, most people bench a lot. Your squats still have plenty of gas left, what about your deadlifts?

Do not cheat and "bounce" the bar, switch to the smith, or cut the reps. If you can't get all your reps on monday (give it a serious try though, don't assume you will fail walking in), then reset your bench. Drop it back 20lbs and ramp back up again. Perhaps you simply started your bench too high, and your squats too low.

I tested my 5 rm and had this on the 4th week like it is said in the program. Deadlifts are going up though not 2,5%, that was too heavy. And I don't want to reset yet because it is just the 4th progress week.

I even might get 5 reps on Monday, but very very hard. So it is better to do 4 and not to go all out. I'll decide that when I have done 4 reps. Can't I continue this way and do 2 & 4 reps on last sets? Maybe I'll get few more weeks progress ?

I can think of a few options that you might want to think of.

1) Mircoload. Find some way to only add a total of 1.25 pounds on the bar. This will allow you to add weight, but at a slower pace then 5 pounds each time. There are whole plate sets you can buy for $70. Or you could make your own using some chain and clips or you could even weight the clips at your gym and just put an extra two or three clips on each side of the bar.

2) Try the 2/4 rep scheme and see how that goes. Yes, it does go against the program its self, but not against the theory.

3) keep with what you should be doing, miss Monday's set and retry Friday/Monday again next week and see how that goes.

4) Maybe (although doubtful) you need a more complex (and thus slower) bench workout for you to progress.

Mr.Y said:
I tested my 5 rm and had this on the 4th week like it is said in the program. Deadlifts are going up though not 2,5%, that was too heavy. And I don't want to reset yet because it is just the 4th progress week.

I even might get 5 reps on Monday, but very very hard. So it is better to do 4 and not to go all out. I'll decide that when I have done 4 reps. Can't I continue this way and do 2 & 4 reps on last sets? Maybe I'll get few more weeks progress ?

If you are stalling in the 4th week, you started the weights too high, simple as that. The first 4 weeks should be moderatly difficult, if not easy. The point is to build momentum for the first weeks, then carry it over.

If its just a stall for one week, then you keep the weights the same for the next week and try and get all the reps. If you STILL don't get all the reps, the weight is too high, start over lower and try again.

Top Bottom