Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

squatting deadlifting with belts

oso0960

So i have been 1 rep maxing with squats so far without a belt. It doesn't feel like i'll have too much of a problem without one but should i wear one just in case? i've also heard they aren't meant to help your back but to teach you how to hold your breath through your stomach/abs. I haven't deadlifted with maximal weights yet but is it 100% safer?

belts should only be used when you're in doubt of yourself...i only use them when doing near max lifts...

As a lover of the power lifts I now use a belt on all my sets of squats. I noticed my gut bulges outward when I'm in the hole (even with 1 plate), so I figure a belt (hopefully) will help keep my midsection from expanding.
With the deadlift I use a belt on my 4th set - 4 plates x 5, and upwards.

HumanTarget said:
belts should only be used when you're in doubt of yourself...i only use them when doing near max lifts...

I agree, like a 1 rep max. If you use a belt all the time your not developing all the little stabilizer muscles and what will happen in real life is you will hurt yourself. I dead lift XXX all the time this should be no problem. Twist, snap, oooo, oh crap. Then one of the freak muscles will be throbbing for the next two weeks. I saw a guy squat about 400 and untightened his belt. He hurt himself putting away a 45 lb plate. LOL.

Creepusmaximus said:
I agree, like a 1 rep max. If you use a belt all the time your not developing all the little stabilizer muscles and what will happen in real life is you will hurt yourself. I dead lift XXX all the time this should be no problem. Twist, snap, oooo, oh crap. Then one of the freak muscles will be throbbing for the next two weeks. I saw a guy squat about 400 and untightened his belt. He hurt himself putting away a 45 lb plate. LOL.

I disagree. This may be true for a relatively new lifter, but if you are a competitive lifter the belt is used at all workouts. We do accessory work for strong cores, like GM, and reverse hypers (all very heavy), etc....

Once you are 'strong' (on deads I would say 2.5x BW for reps, on squats at least 2x BW for reps) then belts are not a crutch anymore, they are a tool.

On another note look into the use of the stabilizers when using a belt. They still get fried, you just don;t feel the fatigue immediatly - you will however feel it the next day upon waking. Pubmed has a study or two I think.

What the pro lifters are doing is a different matter. If you do GM's etc you will be in good shape. I do GM's, squat, deads, barbell rows etc and I have almost a bullet proof back. That didn't happen over night it took years.

I am going to agree with al420. I powerlift and I use a belt on all top sets which are either triples or doubles. Just depends what your goals are. If you are looking to put as much weight on the bar, then use a belt, but if you are just lifting for health/appearance reasons, then do not worry about wearing one.

Creepusmaximus said:
What the pro lifters are doing is a different matter. If you do GM's etc you will be in good shape. I do GM's, squat, deads, barbell rows etc and I have almost a bullet proof back. That didn't happen over night it took years.

That is the key to your statement, and in turn mine.

If I am training a push day it would look like (after dynamic warm-up):

Overhead Squats: 3x3
Clean & Jerk: 3+1x5
Rack Jerk: 5x5
Back Squat: 6x6
Box Jumps: various plyos, one leg, seated, etc. I learned a few from watching Travis Mash on Youtube.

I am wearing the belt fairly loose on the first few sets, but I tighten it up a notch form my Clean/Jerk. It get one more notch for Rack Jerks, and then goes as tight as I wear it for bqck squats. My 'core' getting fatigued at the beginning of a workout is pointless... for me.

I guess it really depends on the individual and what you train for.

I think it's important to develop a strong core, but I also think a good belt is useful and would certainly recommend it for your heaviest sets/lifts.

I normally use a belt on all my Squatting sets (warm ups aswell as working sets...I just tighten the belt more as I reach the heavier weights) and my heaviest deadlift sets. I ALWAYS wear one on Bent Over Barbell Rows.

Some people may argue that by wearing a belt, you do not develop your core or stabilizers....but I also do other core work such as hyperextensions..etc. so I don't think this is a major issue.
In fact, I personally think Hyperextensions and Reverse Hyperextensions are the best for building a strong core and stabilizing muscles. Really rate these.

Good points here. The orginal poster doesn't sound like he has much experience so some more info out of him would probably help figure out exactly what he should be doing. 1 rep maxs are good to increase your strength but you need some way to train your core. I've just seen a lot of young guys wearing a belt all the time for everything and that won't work out well. I think wearing a belt all the time makes you lazy with your form too.

How your doing it aL will work but you know what your doing and have done it for a while from the sounds of it.

Top Bottom