Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats / sore hips - Asprin / old injuries?

2.5 Years

Hi,

I have 2 topics in regards to injuries/body grind

1) I'm getting some intial soreness in the front part of the hips when squatting - it's not my whole hip, but a small contained area towrads the front. It starts hard one the first set and by the 4th set it's gone. It doesn't matter if its light, moderate, or heavy weight - it's always the same. I'm using a PL stance but will feel it sometimes even with a narrow stance. Is this a sign of future problems or is it a sign that they're getting used and stengthened?

2) It's been about 7 months of straight training 5x a week without missing a day so about 3 weeks ago I decided to take a break. Along with this break I also got off of the pain relievers that were being taken sporadically - BC, Tylenol, and Advil. In the past 2 weeks all of these little nagging injuries started showing up - sore lower back, arm cramps, ankle pains, etc.... I assume it's from being purged of what was probably a steady stream of pain relief in my system - anyone else expierence the same thing or am I just getting older (32.5 years old)?

Thanks

did you just switch to a PL stance, or have you always used a PL stance?

If so, the soreness that you are referring to is normal when you make the switch in stance. this is because you are recruiting your hips more with a wide, PL style stance.

2.5 Years said:
Hi,

I have 2 topics in regards to injuries/body grind

1) I'm getting some intial soreness in the front part of the hips when squatting - it's not my whole hip, but a small contained area towrads the front. It starts hard one the first set and by the 4th set it's gone. It doesn't matter if its light, moderate, or heavy weight - it's always the same. I'm using a PL stance but will feel it sometimes even with a narrow stance. Is this a sign of future problems or is it a sign that they're getting used and stengthened?

2) It's been about 7 months of straight training 5x a week without missing a day so about 3 weeks ago I decided to take a break. Along with this break I also got off of the pain relievers that were being taken sporadically - BC, Tylenol, and Advil. In the past 2 weeks all of these little nagging injuries started showing up - sore lower back, arm cramps, ankle pains, etc.... I assume it's from being purged of what was probably a steady stream of pain relief in my system - anyone else expierence the same thing or am I just getting older (32.5 years old)?

Thanks

Damn man, you could be my twin (except for the fact that I'm amost a half a year younger than you :D ) I get that exact same pain in the front of my hips. The warmup sets are the worst, then the work sets aren't bad. They also kill during rows. I'm actually taking this week off from lower body just to try and relieve it a bit.

I hope it's something that dissipates over time. If not, I may have to back off the 3X squatting each week, but I hope not.

32-33 is nowhere near old.....with lifting weights, I find breaking down has nothing to do with actual age, but mileage on the body.....If you've been training hard and heavy since 8th grade and you're 33, you've probably got some mileage......if you didn't start training until you were in your 20's or if you trained with gay M and F workouts until you were 29 and then got serious, then you haven't even tapped your potential yet.

With the hips, the wide stance will cause issues at times, but that is the nature of the beast. Often times sinking the PL-stance past paralell too deep will cause people hip discomfort. It is hard to say whether something is a 'good' sore or a 'bad' sore, you just need to trust your instincts....obviously, if it is really bothering you and won't improve with rest or it gets worse, see a good sports Dr.....what I would do is back off for a little bit and not do anything to aggrevate it, and then start back slow and re-ramp the weights.

Illuminati said:
did you just switch to a PL stance, or have you always used a PL stance?

If so, the soreness that you are referring to is normal when you make the switch in stance. this is because you are recruiting your hips more with a wide, PL style stance.

PL stance since around Feb. I hope that's all it is - I sometimes feel the soreness once in awhile when walking, playing baksetball/softball, and getting off the couch too - may just be overdoing it on the activity and need to stick with the weights

Damn man, you could be my twin (except for the fact that I'm amost a half a year younger than you ) I get that exact same pain in the front of my hips. The warmup sets are the worst, then the work sets aren't bad. They also kill during rows. I'm actually taking this week off from lower body just to try and relieve it a bit.

I hope it's something that dissipates over time. If not, I may have to back off the 3X squatting each week, but I hope not.

I'm not getting pain in the sense that something is torn but more along the lines of HEAVY soreness - I get it during rows once in awhile too

32-33 is nowhere near old.....with lifting weights, I find breaking down has nothing to do with actual age, but mileage on the body.....If you've been training hard and heavy since 8th grade and you're 33, you've probably got some mileage......if you didn't start training until you were in your 20's or if you trained with gay M and F workouts until you were 29 and then got serious, then you haven't even tapped your potential yet.

With the hips, the wide stance will cause issues at times, but that is the nature of the beast. Often times sinking the PL-stance past paralell too deep will cause people hip discomfort. It is hard to say whether something is a 'good' sore or a 'bad' sore, you just need to trust your instincts....obviously, if it is really bothering you and won't improve with rest or it gets worse, see a good sports Dr.....what I would do is back off for a little bit and not do anything to aggrevate it, and then start back slow and re-ramp the weights.
32-33 is nowhere near old.....with lifting weights

I didn't start lifting till 30 - started gay for about the first 2 yrs and the last one (Aug/Sept is the anniversary) has been DF 5x5 and Westside. - have jumped rapidly so I'd like to say I gained some "fast mileage" but who knows.

I've backed off the last couple of weeks but when going back to it for light reps yesterday and today the soreness (not pain) kicks in right away - based on this I don't think rest is going to help much more and suspect they've just been getting used adn need to catch up.

GSP said:
Damn man, you could be my twin (except for the fact that I'm amost a half a year younger than you :D ) I get that exact same pain in the front of my hips. The warmup sets are the worst, then the work sets aren't bad. They also kill during rows. I'm actually taking this week off from lower body just to try and relieve it a bit.

GSP - before it gets too annoying thought you may want to see these I dug up after a quick search -figured I give them a shot and see how it goes:

stretches on the right side 1/2 way down the page
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt.html

see "++++++ DIRTY TRICK #1 +++++++"
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_dirty-tricks.htm

Later

2.5 Years said:
GSP - before it gets too annoying thought you may want to see these I dug up after a quick search -figured I give them a shot and see how it goes:

Later

Excellent post 2.5 years

I agree the streches are a must. I currently do a streching routine myself. In my case a disc protrusion at L5/S1 gives me chronic pain. When an exasberation occurs, I increase my streching to every day for about an 1/2hour. A good pirformus strech will help you I believe.

2.5 Years said:

Later

Thanks for those links! Defranco's recommendation to stretch the hip flexors prior to squats is the first advocate for any static stretching prior to weight lifting I've seen in a while.

2.5 Years said:
PL stance since around Feb. I hope that's all it is - I sometimes feel the soreness once in awhile when walking, playing baksetball/softball, and getting off the couch too - may just be overdoing it on the activity and need to stick with the weights

you might want to look into getting some groove briefs. they will help to lessen the beating your hips take when squatting with a wide stance. good place to get them is over at elitefts.com here's a link:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=204

inzer also makes some briefs, but the metal ones are better quality.

Top Bottom