Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

squats: smith machines vs free weights

furious

For some strange freakin' reason, I can barely do free weight squats anymore. I can do up to a certain weight 295lbs ( i know, pathetic) but once i get to 315, my balance falters. I started to use the smith machine for the last 2 weeks..it works great. I can rep out at 315 (of course with extreme effort). My lower back doesn't even hurt when I squat now. I know my stance is correct, I sometimes go to the local JC and lift with the football team. I also get some coaching from the strength coach.
Regardless, what are your opinions on smith vs free squats? I'm getting pretty damned good results with smith machine.

nothing beats free weights and you know it too. that is why you are asking that question. all you have to do is basically push for machines, free weights are still here and always will be here because they are the best. your muscle have to control the weight and push instead of just simply pushing. just becuase you can do more weight on the smith machine doesn't make it better, it makes the smith machine easier. stick to the real squats for real progress that is the only way you are gonna see results.

Yeah definitely dude freeweights all the way. Smith machine squats are good I guess for isolating the quads and eliminating lower back/glute/hamstring involvment. Nothing beats heavy freeweight barbell squats for really packing on mass to your lower body! ;)

Mac, MonStar, I took your advice into consideration. This week I went back to free weight squats and made strength gains. It seems the 3 weeks with smith machine squats helped me improve my balance. I agree with you guys on the control it takes to squat with free weight, but I disagree on the point that smith machines have no use. It has helped me greatly in the last 3 weeks, and will continue to use it to get past sticking points and just for a change of routine.

Peace

Top Bottom