Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats and the smith machine

Kalos

These past few weeks I have been going to the gym myself since all my friends are lazy. I have been doing squats on the smith machine since I have nobody to spot me. Is this just as effective as the real deal squats? I am able to do more weight on the smith machine but I still feel sore the next day so I am assuming its still very effective. What do you guys think?

You wont use as many stabilzer muscles but in a way it should give you good form. I use the Smith sometimes because i have poor technigue on squats, i find it hard not to bend my back.

I am 6' 1", so with regular squats, i lean forward alot. But with the smith machine, I can keep my back upright a little better and get down below parallel. Its not exactly like free bar squats but a very effective movement.

My gym doesn't have a power rack, just the smith (company gym).. so I squat with the smith. I definitely can make my legs beyond sore for a good 3-5 days on that thing.

Going real heavy on the Smith is rough on the knees bro....the angle will force your knees past your toes....if you use proper form when doing "regular" squats its like your stiing in a chair and your knees are well behind your toes.

Sorry but i dont agree with smith machine for squats, or pressing for that matter. Doesnt allow the bodys stabilizer muscles to work properly, also on squats its nearly impossible to get good form due to the construction of the machine.
Learn to squat properly. Dont be a faggot.

Bro:)

I'm pretty much ANTI-Smith machine... I feel their benefit is alot less than squats, and will not build up the various stabilizers... and that could lead to and injury down the road.

If you have a kne injury, squats below Parallel actually help heal your knee (or at least work as therapy)... I thought it was nuts too... but stopping above parallel hurts my knee, going below, takes the pressure off my knee and seems to redirect it to my quads and hips.

Just a thought, but I never use the Smith.

C-ditty

The smith machine is for faggots j/k.

With sqauts on the smithy you don't get your natural range of motion- because naturally you do not move the bar up and down on a straight line... so that adds a little more stress on your joints.

Top Bottom