Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats and deads

Clubber Lang

If I'm just starting squats and deads would it be wise to do only one of them a week and alternate them? For example squat this week but don't deadlift, deadlift next week but don't squat.

Also I plan on doing deads with a routine of 4 sets reps of 5,4,3, and 1 last set to failure (should come out to about 2). The squats I plan on doing 4 sets reps of 10,8,6 and 1 last set to failure (should come out to about 4).

I (and most others) do deadlifts on back day and squats on leg day. I try to spread them as far apart in my split as possible (i.e. back day on Tues and leg day on Fri), since I definitely feel it in my back when I squat.

I don't see why you can't do both in a week. Squat one day and deadlift on another day. If you only did one each week you'd be training each exercise once every 2 weeks. Good luck trying to grow much off that.

As for your set and rep scheme, well I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'd recommend probably 5x5, where each set you increase the weight so the 5th set is the heaviest. You don't need to go to failure on deadlifts, especially when doing low reps. Same for squats when doing low reps. There's no point going to failure since you obviously plan to use heavy weights which is why you end up using low reps because of the weight. You will already being doing a hard workout considering that as the weights get heavier and the reps get lower, you get closer to your 1 rep max which means that your low reps sets are already pretty high in intensity so doing them to failure is kinda pointless and possibly counterproductive.

Many people squat and deadlift 2-3x a week. Many that train this way use a heavy-light-medium system because training a lift using max weight 2-3x a week will get most people overtrained pretty quick.

Hope this helps.

Clubber Lang said:
If I'm just starting squats and deads would it be wise to do only one of them a week and alternate them? For example squat this week but don't deadlift, deadlift next week but don't squat.

Also I plan on doing deads with a routine of 4 sets reps of 5,4,3, and 1 last set to failure (should come out to about 2). The squats I plan on doing 4 sets reps of 10,8,6 and 1 last set to failure (should come out to about 4).

you will get varying responses on this question. and both sides have their points. but i for one, do not do them both in the same week. i do this because they both put a heavy strain on the lower back, and because they both hit the lower body.
ultimately, whether or not deads and squats are done in the same week, is up to the individual. and this decision should be made based upon your style of lifting. it seems to me,in general, that the people with more of a body building emphasis in their training will do squats and deads in the same week, and the people with more of a power lifting influence tend to alternate them, and not do them in the same week.

Illuminati said:
you will get varying responses on this question. and both sides have their points. but i for one, do not do them both in the same week. i do this because they both put a heavy strain on the lower back, and because they both hit the lower body.
ultimately, whether or not deads and squats are done in the same week, is up to the individual. and this decision should be made based upon your style of lifting. it seems to me,in general, that the people with more of a body building emphasis in their training will do squats and deads in the same week, and the people with more of a power lifting influence tend to alternate them, and not do them in the same week.

this is a good point, bringin up the difference between the approaches of a BBer and a PLer.

Do not do squats and deads on same week. You will overtrain your back, and trust me, if you havent had the experience, you dont want to find out how bad it sucks. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts.l

I used to do deadlifts and squats in the same week. just give it 3-4 days rest before you work on the other exercise

Illuminati said:
i agree..but it also depends on what methods you use..i know plenty of pl'er that squat and pull in the same week..

bottom line you need to find what works for you..i tried not pulling and just basically doing GM's when i went to pull i was uncomfortable at teh bar and it just didnt seems right..so for me i learned i need to do full pulls at least 2x month..

hitting a max single or double every week eventually will become counterproductive

Top Bottom