Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats with bar pad

Backlash

Is it bad to do squats with the foam bad on the bar to cushion your traps?

I realize it's probably not legal for powerlifting competitions, but I have no plans to enter one, ever, so I'm not worried about that.

I can use the bar by itself for light weights in warmups, but it's extremely uncomfortable for me at higher weights, so much that I can't get a good leg workout on squats without the pad.

Is there any real reason not to use one other than "it's manlier"?

It was my experience that it threw me off balance and made the bar even more slippery! I guess you haven't had that problem.

I don't think there is any problem with it....it just doesn't work for me cuz I really can't feel the bar....but that's just me!

MsBeverlyHills said:
I agree w/the other posters...dont use it. Also- is the bar resting on your traps or neck??? that could be your problem.
Yeah, God gave us this nifty little groove for the bar to sit on. Find that groove near your rear delts, not up towards your neck.

I used to use that thing when I first started because the bar hurt. Then I started doing heavy ass deads and my traps exploded, so now I have a nice cushion for the bar (I do high-bar squats). I like it sitting on the traps more than the rear delts personally.

It's not on my neck, I think it's just that my traps and rear delts aren't very big (along with the rest of me... :rolleyes: )

I will work on transitioning to not using it as my traps grow. I have been doing power shrugs recently so hopefully that will help.

I was wondering this also Backlash. The bar kills my shoulders and spine, as I have a bony spine anyway because there isnt much meat covering it up. I use the pad sometimes, most of the time I try to bear it though, just because once I get up to squatting 400 lbs, I dont want it rolling down my back any.

I cant imagine squatting 1000lbs + like some PLers do. Cant imagine how that feels.

Top Bottom