Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats: ATG or just past parallel; whats healthier?

ATG or Beyond Parallel

• Ass to Grass

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • beyond parallel

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

thecompound

Pro Bodybuilder
What is better for your knees, I hear arguments for both sides, relating to pressure and the knee. ATG looks better but is it really more beneficial than just beyond parallel?

Why would you think ATG looks healthier?

My experience is that people who say they go ATG are barely hitting parallel, and people who think they are going parallel are doing half squats. :)

I suppose ATG might be healthier because you need to use less weight.

IMO it's how you slow down when you are about to change direction. That is when you put the most stress on your knee joints.

Sent from my iPhone using EliteFitness app

ATG is better because once you go below parallel the stress is transferred from the knee to the hams/quads.

Why would you think ATG looks healthier?

My experience is that people who say they go ATG are barely hitting parallel, and people who think they are going parallel are doing half squats. :)

I suppose ATG might be healthier because you need to use less weight.

by saying ATG looks better I was describing the look of going all the way (merely cosmetical sweetness) not the joint wellness aspect. Take this with a grain of salt as many people suffer from numerous ROM disabilities and preferences. As many of these aspects are brought on from how you train and muscle development. If we were to take two control subjects and use ATG and JBP techniques per person (same weight), I wonder if there would be any difference in the joints after n-number of squats over time. Need to do more research hah :coffee: google scholar here I come

I found this:
Full (Deep) Squat

Kreighbaum (1996) illustrate the safe position of a deep squat with the knees extending beyond the toes. Kreighbaum explains how a deep squat can be performed little chance of injury to the knee. The variables of concern:
  • speed of descent
  • size of calves and thighs
  • strength of the controlling muscles
The primary danger to the knee occurs when the tissues of the calf and thigh press together altering the center of rotation back to the contact area creating a dislocation effect. The danger of knee injury in this situation may be prevented if either of the following factor are present:
  • center of gravity of the body system is keep forward of the altered center of rotation
  • muscles of the thigh are strong enough to prevent the body from resting or bouncing on the calves.
Kreighbaum conclude the deep squat is of little danger to the knees unless these variables and factors are disregarded. Certainly only a limit type of athletes may have a sports specific need to perform a full squat. Olympic weightlifters commonly bounce out of a full front squat with near maximum resistances during both the Clean & Jerk and Snatch. Incidentally, the wide stance during an Olympic style squat further reduces knee torque forces.
During the lower portions of the deep squat the lower back may flex if hip flexibility is inadequate. The risk of injury is increased if the muscles of the lower back are not strong enough to support the flexed spine or the joint structures have not progressively adapted to such a stress. Flexibility exercises can be performed if hip flexibility is insufficient for deep, or full squats. See Full Squat Flexibility.

Squat Analysis

Whichever approach you choose, strict form carries the day. I have spent months making video of my squats with a cheap little camera to try to push myself. Keeping the weight on the outside of the foot and heels, using a low box to know I have passed parallel and to be sure I am evenly distributing my weight between my legs. It has all paid off to noticeably fuller legs.

Top Bottom