Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats!!!!

New-B-Builder

New member here. So i got here by researching why is my core getting weaker after doing the 5x5 work out. my history with the plan is i started in japan couple years ago, got through week 12 and wrecked my back on a deployment. was out of comission for a while i would say roughly 4 months. fast forward to 2012. started again and got hurt deadlifting. made it to week 10 program. i always thought i had good form but never really took the time to check. so my last job this year i needed to gain strength. so again researched, read, bought a home gym (squat rack and 330 lbs of weight) and all was good to roughly 330lbs on the deadlifts, bam...hurt again but only rested up a couple days and started at a lower weight on all lifts. so friday of this past week i was up to 250 on squats. so by this time this is my 3rd time making it up past week twelve. weight gains are up but....i noticed my core seems to be weak. lower back is hurting all the time and knees when sitting for long periods. so i made it to this site and saw the videos on how is your squat? OMG!!! i have been good morning'ing (sp?..lol) all this time. so i have been working with the exercises to try to get the lower back arch and i can barely squat 135 now, plus my knees are grinding and popping. i was going low before but never i would say ATG. just barely breaking the hip and knee crease. What if anything can i do to over come this? i know i am really tight. tried the board under the heels and can get lower but once i take it away i feel like im going to fall over or my knees are going to far over my toes. this sucks bad. i was gaining good size and strength but am sick of my lower back being screwed up and i really dont want to start from scratch again. would you suggest a trainer? seems like my balance is all jacked up. thanks in advance.
Will

From where you are at, I would say, on squats and DL's to start the 5x5's at the weight at the very beginning of the program. That is zero weight on the bar for squats and, I can't remember for DL's, maybe 25's on each side. Video every workout so you can be strict with your form tweaks. You can also post the on youtube and link them to a thread here for feedback. Starting so light will give your body time to heal, and to learn correct form so this doesn't happen again.

thats what i was afraid of, and what i started yesterday. even with just the bar, i go down and without the board i feel like im going to fall backwards while trying to maintain a straight back. i really like the videos posted and am following the stretches and exercises for form correction. just sucks to be like oh yeah, im getting so far to find out its all screwed up. for most likely the 3rd time through. unbelievable! well thanks for the reply, will keep checking the boards for the wealth of info up here. great site by the way! stay strong!
Will

Every obstacle, when embraced as an opportunity for growth, brings about positive results that would not have come about otherwise. Good Luck...

When I first started squatting I just used the bar until I finally managed to get the tiniest little weight on top of the bar when I went down. I know that it might be different for guys, but I do not give a damn about looking ‘cool’, I care about getting the exercise right and squatting the right way. Good luck!

i have been doing as suggested and recording myself. i noticed when i go down into the hole i have foot movement sort of a wobble. at the foot. i did a behind video and sure enough my feet press to the outsides. i was watching so videos here discussing tight ankles and calves. i believe this is part of the problem as well as weak quads. after 2 days of trying to keep the weight back and straight over my hips, my quads are sore...really sore. im glad i found this site. glad i had the inner wisdom to ask why my core seemed to be getting weaker and get to the bottom of the problem. thanks for the advice. it stinks having to go back but as stated above i would rather get this right than mess up my back bad. just wish i caught it sooner and saved myself some pain.
Stay Strong!
Will

It's exciting to hear your progress. Self reflection can be difficult at times, but always leads to growth. Keep videoing your form and post them up if your not sure what direction to go in. Also, watch the West Side Barbell Club squat videos on youtube. Enjoy

It's exciting to hear your progress. Self reflection can be difficult at times, but always leads to growth. Keep videoing your form and post them up if your not sure what direction to go in. Also, watch the West Side Barbell Club squat videos on youtube. Enjoy
Will do. Thanks for the encouragement and reference to the videos.
Stay Strong! <--liking this sig...:D
Will

You are probably very tight in your hamstrings and hips, which is why your heels come off the ground as you get low into the squat. A LOT of people tend to think that their calf flexibility is the main culprit, but many times it is the hamstrings.

Try doing standing toe touches every night before bed. 2-3 sets of 20-30 second holds. Get to the point you can easily rest your palms on the ground without discomfort. Then you can begin trying to touch the ground to the sides of your feet instead of directly in front of you. Start by doing the palm holds in front, and when this is too easy, on the second and third set, begin to rotate the position you rest your palms to one side or the other, an inch or two at a time. Within a short period of time you might be able to grab the back of your right ankle with your left hand while fully bent over, which will give you an excellent hamstring stretch, an excellent lower lat stretch for the arm holding the ankle, and will increase the stretch torque on the leg whose ankle is being held. If you do decide to do this, make sure you do the holds for each leg and not just one.

I have noticed that holding my left ankle is harder for me than my right, which signifies an imbalance somewhere. This is a nice benefits to this type of stretching, as you can get a good sense of the differing levels of tightness in your body, and what might be causing it.

You are probably very tight in your hamstrings and hips, which is why your heels come off the ground as you get low into the squat. A LOT of people tend to think that their calf flexibility is the main culprit, but many times it is the hamstrings.

Try doing standing toe touches every night before bed. 2-3 sets of 20-30 second holds. Get to the point you can easily rest your palms on the ground without discomfort. Then you can begin trying to touch the ground to the sides of your feet instead of directly in front of you. Start by doing the palm holds in front, and when this is too easy, on the second and third set, begin to rotate the position you rest your palms to one side or the other, an inch or two at a time. Within a short period of time you might be able to grab the back of your right ankle with your left hand while fully bent over, which will give you an excellent hamstring stretch, an excellent lower lat stretch for the arm holding the ankle, and will increase the stretch torque on the leg whose ankle is being held. If you do decide to do this, make sure you do the holds for each leg and not just one.

I have noticed that holding my left ankle is harder for me than my right, which signifies an imbalance somewhere. This is a nice benefits to this type of stretching, as you can get a good sense of the differing levels of tightness in your body, and what might be causing it.

Yep. Very tight all around. I have been stretching and have gained like 4 inches of reach. A while back I did 2 rounds of the original p90x and got really flexible from the yoga and stretching. i never stretched while lifting though. always thought the pre workload movements were enough to warm up the muscles, which i think is correct to a degree. its the post workout stretching i think would be the most important in a lifting regimen as the muscles want to tighten afterwards. anyway, i am stretching now...dynamic prior to workout and static after plus some hamstring and quad stretches and foam rolling before bed. seems to be helping.

decided to lay off the 5x5 for a while until i can get the stretching and form corrected. found the split workout on here and am doing that. i mis-read the 1st workout of the firt week and did like 70 sets of all the exercises listed....wut a dummy i know. surprised i was able to move the next 2 days. had a good laugh with the wife as she helped me stretch. anyway, progress is being made. starting to lose the pain in my back and knees seem to be getting strnger and less painful too! so true about the imbalances.

just want to say thanks for the great advice i have been getting here and i really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Stay strong,
Will

Top Bottom