Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The squat, range of motion...

TheOak84

When i squat, i come down until my hips break parallel with a fairly wide stance. Ive seen some people squat until they get maximum range of motion with their hips, basically until the calf touches the hamstring. Does anyone think im doing it wrong? Ive been doing it this way my whole life, i definitely feel my hams, glutes and quads working, but am I ripping myself off?

Stance width (and to an extent the angle of the feet) determine to what extent the various muscles are engaged. As the stance widens, generally the load is shifted more to the posterior chain muscles while closer stances emphasize more quad recruitment. Also, closer stances demand much more flexibility in the hips, quads, and lower back.

There's a lot of debate regarding depth; but as a rule of thumb, the hips should always at least break parallel. Obviously the deeper one squats the longer the muscles are engaged, but I personally don't think it really matters unless you are training for the Olympic movements.

I have a nice squat, weight wise. I guess im just questioning my depth after seeing some really deep squats. I for sure break parallel, i just want to have respectable form. I guess I shouldnt worry then.

TheOak84 said:
Ive been doing it this way my whole life,

I think that's the most important factor- what feels natural. (And of course hitting parallel). I used to squat wide stance until I realized I wasn't squating to compete. I went back to a closer stance. For me less pounds but more fun.

TheOak84 said:
I have a nice squat, weight wise. I guess im just questioning my depth after seeing some really deep squats. I for sure break parallel, i just want to have respectable form. I guess I shouldnt worry then.

I think the depth is just a matter of flexability. As long as you're PAST (not at) parallel you're good. You can work on flexability and I bet you'll have a deeper squat.

I know this is true for me as with no weight on the bar (or very little), I just break parallel. But the more weight I put on the bar the deeper I seem to go in the hole.

Im sure if i close my stance a bit, ill be able to get deep, with lighter weight. But, i dont want all that extra force on my knees. Ill try it for 8 weeks though, ill see how it goes.

TheOak84 said:
Im sure if i close my stance a bit, ill be able to get deep, with lighter weight. But, i dont want all that extra force on my knees. Ill try it for 8 weeks though, ill see how it goes.

Don;t change your stance just because someone told you it hits "x" muscle group more.

Keep your stance, if a closer stance bothers your knees don't use a closer stance.

If I am sqatting for strength, I would be stronger with a wide stance.

To hit quads more, I would go narrower stance and lock out at the top, squeezing the quads.

Either way, leaning forward by transferring weight on the toes and letting the knees to come forward or letting knees angle in will put more stress on the knees.

I always start out with an empty bar and practice going lower carefully. I don't go deep until my hips and knees and spine are warmed up and loose. Usually about three sets of five with the bar with a little stretching between.

if i squatted ass to floor my kneecaps would explode. just depends on how your body is built.

Top Bottom