Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat and fail?

SquatPukeSquat

I just read some of the "how much can you squat post?" and figured i'd ask how many of you squat to failure? I don't mean when your legs get a little wobbly or your breathing becomes heavy, but when you set those pins, and end up having the bar rest on them at the end of your set. Maybe I work out in a puss gym or something, but i rarely see people doing squats, and I don't think I can EVER remember seeing anyone squat to absolute failure. To me, squatting to failure is the epitomy of "ballsyness" in the gym. I guess i'm more interested in hearing about balls out workouts than the tremendous poundages some people claim to lift. By the way, on the internet, I squat 405 x10 ass to the ground; in real life, i squat 405 x10 ass to the ground. What's the point in lying? Later.

I rarely see it as well. Reason being, is that the Squat requires alot of balance, which makes it tough. If I am going to failure, and want to do it on a compound basic exercise, I do it on Leg Press. For safety, if for no other reason.

If I did want to do some "to failure" sets on Squats, they would be light. Definitely not on a heavy set. Too much can go wrong. When I was squatting heavy, I would usually go up to 5 bills for a set of 3, then drop down, and do a set at #315 for as many as I can get. My best was 25.

Last edited:
atomic brings up a good point.

if you're squating to complete failure, you run the risk of losing your form and hurting yourself. much more likely to happen when squating heavy to failure.

My problem is I use too much back in the last do-or-die reps of a squat set, so as a result I don't squat to failure. The squat's a great leg/hip exercise no point turning it into a bad lower back exercise...

people lie on the internet, c'est la vie. Most ppl here worth listening to have proved what they can do with vids so it's all good

Everyone is afraid to go to failure on squats but not bench. I say go to failure everyonce in awhile but try your hardest not to turn into a good morning.

i understand what you guys mean by the back bending forward. it happens to me every once in a while too. i just find that when i watch people squat they quit before they've even come close to failing. i never have had problems with my back when squatting to failure though, only when going too damn heavy.

I find I get more forward lean when I squat relatively heavy, (i.e. double bw+ for reps) but its a trade off, lighter weights & higher reps and more upright stance dont seem to make my legs grow as much.

Most people who squat 'to failure' ditch the bar way before the set's done, I agree... nothing a few weeks of 20 rep breathing squats wouldn't fix :)

I go to about 98% failure. I've trained squats for a long time and have a good feel for when I'm about to fail. Failing on a heavy squat can be dangerous. You need 3 spotters to do it safely. It's true that some people are just plain pussies. However, squatting to failure is not practicle to do often but there have been times that I've found myself at the bottom with the bar resting on the safety pins.

Atomic Punk said:
I rarely see it as well. Reason being, is that the Squat requires alot of balance, which makes it tough. If I am going to failure, and want to do it on a compound basic exercise, I do it on Leg Press. For safety, if for no other reason.

If I did want to do some "to failure" sets on Squats, they would be light. Definitely not on a heavy set. Too much can go wrong. When I was squatting heavy, I would usually go up to 5 bills for a set of 3, then drop down, and do a set at #315 for as many as I can get. My best was 25.

yup

i don't wanna get crushed under the bar, and there isn't anyone at my gym i trust enough to sport for that type of lift

see, i dont' need spotters 'cause i squat in a safety rack. i put the pins just below where i would be at the bottom portion of my squat, or right there, so when i go down for that last rep, and i can't get it up, i just end up in the bottom position and the bar just rests on the pins. i would never squat to failure without pins, although i won't squat without pins either. i'm interested in how one would fail on the leg press. the ones at my gym would crush me if i completely failed, 'cause my legs would be pressed against my chest. although i use my hands to push my legs when i get too tired, so i guess that's failure. later.

Top Bottom