Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat and Deadlifts, too much for one day?

I was just wondering if it's okay to do squats and deadlifts during the same workout. Can it be done without being in a world of hurt for many days afterwards if you go heavy? Also, if they were in the same workout, how would you arrange the sets and reps if you were training for strength? Lastly if you could pick one of the two to perform, squats or deadlifts, which would you pick?

Years ago I did a 5x5 workout and was doing squats and deads (both 5x5) hard and heavy in the same workout. I was about 27 at the time and pretty indestructable but I will admit it was very tough if not downright brutal on the lower back and recuperation. The central nervous system will take quite a beating. It is something I would not recommend or condemn but if used would have to say....do it with caution and not for any long period of time. If asked for my honest opinion and with the knowledge I gained over the years, I would say to split them up and do the squats and deads on different days with "at least" a day or two in between each movement.

Pump on .....

Last edited:
I dont think you will be able to lift heavy enough without some hurt doing both in the same day..However maybe you could alternate each week going heavy squats/lighter deads and vice versa..
once thoroughly warmed do one or 2 work sets of 5 or less reps..
i couldnt choose squats will help your DL!!! both are important

This could work...but doing both heavy in the same session is a no-no...too easy to get injured IMHO...

I would do heavy squats\speed DLs one session and Heavy dls\speed squats the next session...

The best compromise I can think of would be to squat(back or front squats) and do a SLDL or RDL...the erectors will be still be getting hit hard either way....

Personally I always made the best gains on DL when my squat went up....

InTraining said:
This could work...but doing both heavy in the same session is a no-no...too easy to get injured IMHO...

I would do heavy squats\speed DLs one session and Heavy dls\speed squats the next session...

The best compromise I can think of would be to squat(back or front squats) and do a SLDL or RDL...the erectors will be still be getting hit hard either way....

Personally I always made the best gains on DL when my squat went up....
Squatting is a great way to bring up your DL..This isnt a bad suggestion if you have to do both on the same day..

Squat and deadlift? That's the way I've been training for the past little while and don't seem to have a problem. However, I don't do one right after the other.

I do squats pyramiding up and down in weight and reps fallowed by leg extentions and the naudilis ham machine then deadlifts heavy as fuck then calfs then run 4.5 miles. Come on people no pain no gain!

Borg4902 said:
I do squats pyramiding up and down in weight and reps fallowed by leg extentions and the naudilis ham machine then deadlifts heavy as fuck then calfs then run 4.5 miles. Come on people no pain no gain!

im putting my boots on because its really getting deep in here!!! :rolleyes:

I definately wouldnt do them on the same day. I like to go all out on the compound lifts. Squats arent a specialty of mine, and I dont even do them too often, doesnt feel right for me. So Id pick deadlifts over the 2 movements. Id hit squats on your leg day, and deadlifts on your back day. Try to hit squats within a day or two after deadlifts so that the soreness in your legs is gone by the time you deadlift again. Otherwise squats and deadlifts can interfere with eachother. Most all of my back mass was built off of heavy rows, lat pulldowns, chin-ups and upper back specific exercises, deadlifts gave me thickness in the waist, and traps mainly. Maybe some thickness in my mid back, but it didnt show up on the measuring tape. They also gave me alot of deadlift specific strength. Not a necessary movement in my opinion, but it might be good at your level to develop thickness. I was already plateaud in chest/back size when I started deadlifting consistently. Best of luck with your training

I can barely stagger to my car after leg day so I don't know how you can run nearly 5 miles...

you can do both in one session but drop the volume or intensity.. 10 sets of all out squatting & deadlifting is going to chew you up something nasty.

Top Bottom