Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat/deadlift or squat/bench press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Zane

I'm a natural and I do 3 workouts per week.I am inproving bench press so I want to train it 2 time per week.The problem is that in at least 1 workout I have to bench with squat or deadlift ,so:
1) if I choose deadlift it's too much for shoulders ;
2) If I choose squat,the day after I am too tired.

ADVICE ??

The same muscles that increase the deadlift also increase the squat. It is not neccesary to preform the deadlift that often. The perfect solution would be to train four days a week. Two days for bench; one to work on speed and techinque...the other to work on maximum effort. Then the other two days can be devoted to the squat/dl...one for speed the other for strength. The best way to increase your deadlift is to stop deadlifting.

Check out...www.elitefitnesssystems.com

The best way to increase your deadlift is to stop deadlifting.
hannibal... what do you mean... are you saying that you should stop deadlifting all together except at competition and things... do you think your deadlift can be increased more by just workin on your muscle groups that aid in the deadlift?... thanks

That's exactly what I am saying. The same muscles that squat also deadlift. So working them both is a quick way to stall your progress. Check out the above link...go to the articles and read about deadlift training.

Good Luck

Hmmmm...I am going to slightly disagree with Hannibal, even though I hate to. I would keep deadlifting, and maybe train the bench press to a lighter fashion on dead day. I used to have a hard day...and a pump up day for basically every body part.

Not to argue...would just be hard for me to stop deadlifting...if I read the post correctly.

B True

I would agree with Hannibal. The squat and dead use alot of the same muscles but i would throw in goodmorning, moderate reps 3 to 8. And yes bench twice a week either flat heavy day 1, Day 2 bench do speed Or just go light for reps and push it as fast as you can. Speed work ofor th ebench is 50 to 60% of your max weight done 8 sets of 3 reps and push th eweight as fast as you can. Rest no more then 1 minute between sets. Then move on to Tri accessory work. And 4 days is the ideal amount for powerlifting. we need more rest then most , now i said only most bodybuilders. But if you had to pick which exercise to can on an either or basis...drop the deadlifting.

One moment ! Deadlift is not only a muscolar matter,it needs a good technical,so, I not agree with deadlifting little. I think that the right thing to do is to alternate heavy and speed workouts and the bench press alone or,at most,with good morning .

Progressing in the deadlift without any pulling exercises is difficult at best and should only be considered by someone very advanced or plateaued in another lift and willing to drop DL focus. Bill Star had an interesting program for this but it still consisted of endless pulling so not really applicable.

Bench in alternating heavy and light/speed days. On the light/speed day do either of the 2 other exercises first. I would recommend squats but it depends on one's body.

I don't disagree necessarily I just don't understand it myself. I have been doing the westside workout for 3 months (just piecing it together) and did a power meet last weekend. My deads were my strongest lift despite being kind of neglected in this workout. Made me think I could really explode there if I trained them more. Just having a hard time with the wrpping of my mind around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom