Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat/Deadlift form help

cwschimpff

Hey everyone!

Former powerlifted here. Took an unfortunate, unavoidable two-year break from weight lifting. Started again, slowly, a little over a week ago.

(By "slowly" I mean that I'm taking it easy on weight. Not trying to really push the envelope yet until I get my body used to the unique stresses again.)

Part of my day one routine were deadlifts (oh, deadlifts.. how I missed you), and even though my form was perfect (I guess you'll have to take my word on that), I ended up causing a small twinge/aggravation in my lumbar region -- right in the middle of the back, at the waistline level.

I put some heat on it and gave it two days to heal, and did some successful and pain-free goodmornings, front squats, overhead squats, power cleans, etc. throughout the next week.

Today, while doing regular back squats (again, not pushing it on weight and with good form), I reaggravated the twinge.

Assuming you believe me and trust that my form was appropriate, what can I do to help this problem? I think the problem is that the muscles that are intended to be activated to "cocoon" the spine when you achieve good form might have lost more strength than the rest of my body, but I could be very wrong. I'm thinking that if I do some additional core/back work (any suggestion on exercises to strengthen the lumbar region muscles?) that might help the problem.

Any help would be great. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the quick reply, Nightmare! To answer your question -- it's been QUITE a while (on the order of two years) since I've done anything other than jogging/running and some BW exercises (pushups, burpees, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if my core was in worse shape than Fukushima. Suggestions on some stabilization work to do?

Ive always been a planks guy with a twist...i take the handles on the free motion machine to the lowest setting get a boso ball which i place my forarms ballside up then do jackknives with the handles hooked to your feet this forces you to move while engaging your abs hopefully you can see that concept i checked youtube but couldnt seem to find it

Yeah, no PRs here (yet!) Moya. Definitely went into this program with the intent to ease into it as slowly as I can. I'm at least experienced enough to know not to push my body when it's so out of shape.

If I said I was doing high reps, I was wrong... usually do 4x4 or somewhere thereabouts.. never more than 4 reps, anyway, sometimes I'll add a fifth or sixth set. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom