Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A spotter ?

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
If you're going heavy and thinking about asking a spotter to help you, be aware than it can be a bad idea

OK, let me explain :

Some spotters are concerned that you will end up stuck under the barbell (and be responsible of your horrible suffocating death ;) ) that they almost lift the barbell for you
And at the end of your set you have done 1 rep by yourself and 3 more with your spotter doing half of the work :rolleyes:

That's so frustrating :redhot:

Anthrax said:
If you're going heavy and thinking about asking a spotter to help you, be aware than it can be a bad idea

OK, let me explain :

Some spotters are concerned that you will end up stuck under the barbell (and be responsible of your horrible suffocating death ;) ) that they almost lift the barbell for you
And at the end of your set you have done 1 rep by yourself and 3 more with your spotter doing half of the work :rolleyes:

I get really irritated when that sh*t happens. There's these girls that work at my college gym, they are great spotters - only help out if you wont be able to get it. But then I asked some of the guys that work there to spot me and they were doing crap like helping me throughout the lift.

There should be a "spot etiquette" law which everyone has to adhere to.

This is incredibly annoying...and you can't really complain because they are doing you the favor of spotting you.....I usually just say "please don't touch the bar unless I say so" I haven't had any problems lately...

Getting a spot in and of itself is hard....I feel like a punk getting a spot for all 3 of my worksets on incline BB but it's either that or the smith machine....

Anthrax said:

OK, let me explain :

Even worse is when ur working heavy dblell presses and some inexperienced grabs ur wrists!!! happened to me this week doing the 130's..whats worse is i always tell someone where i want the spot i.e pull me out of the whole on the first rep then spot me from the elbows if i start to fail..and then they do the complete opposite :rolleyes:

wnt2bBeast said:
Even worse is when ur working heavy dblell presses and some inexperienced grabs ur wrists!!! happened to me this week doing the 130's..whats worse is i always tell someone where i want the spot i.e pull me out of the whole on the first rep then spot me from the elbows if i start to fail..and then they do the complete opposite :rolleyes:

nothing will ruin your concentration faster than someone grabbing your wrists during incline db press, I hear ya man.

I could just imagine!
I hate working out around others, it just throws me off, I can't go how I want...
Then I get this guy standing over, staring down at me, ready to grab the bar, while I'm making the infamous face during the push! haha
It was a little awkarwd, thats why I'm all about the dumbbell presses now... if i fail i don't worry about killing myself!

wnt2bBeast said:

Ya that shit has happened to me before.

Anthrax said:

OK, let me explain :

before every workout, i always tell my spotter even though i workout with him every day "dont touch the bar unless i need it, and i won tneed it unless i stop completely for a bit or start to go down, or say spot, and even then when you spot me, barely touch it enough to make sure im in constant motion going up, and apply pressure acordingly"

even so he still fucks up spotting usually, like its impossible to max because he assumes if im not throwing it up i need a spot cause hes not paying attention and will glance over and se me going slow and be like oh shit grab over and under grip and pull up super hard and fast and rerack....

he also never watches, so i learned that once ive reached that rep where you have to push your ass, if im not doen with my set and know ill probably fail on the next one i either stop or tell him "spot on this one" real fast so he knows..

yeah hes a shitty workout partner and hardlye ver goes anymore- im trying to get my brother to join up ;)

haha Know what everyone is means! I always give explicit instructions as I will today, when not training with my spotter. I have to fucking growl at them when thier hands approach the bar and it can throw off my concentration. The thing that pisses me off is, that after I tell them to let the bar fall on my chest, then help me, they still rush in before I give the signal. Once I reach failure, my strength isnt gone, its just not good enough to lift the weight by myself. With a little help its no problem, but no need to touch that shit before I fail, only when that shit is going down or hits my chest.

I first switched to dumbell bench press just because I can't stand the spotters I kept getting. I just do it Ronnie Colman style, put the dumbells on my knees when I am done and set them down.

Top Bottom