Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Speed deads - Tempo?

fastgain

My deads have been pretty slow lately and I'm a little rundown so I was thinking about throwing in some speed deads today. What's a good tempo and rep scheme to work with? I'm thinking 60% of 1RM for 10 sets of 2 with 1:00 minute rest. What do you guys and gals think? Any suggestions CoolCol?

By the way, I normally do 3x5 for deads, really heavy, but I'd like to hit some heavy bb rows for 5x5 today while giving the posterior chain a little rest from the heavy weights.

i do about 4 sets of 1 resting about 30 seconds max between sets.

X

I vary my speed deads but never do more than singles.

40-75% (depending on where I am in my training) for 6-10 singles. My least amount of rest will be 30 seconds and if I am going heavier I'll rest 1-3 minutes.

B True

I do a "wave" ( think that's the right word) where over the course of several weeks, I decrease the number of singles as increase the percentage of my max. I rest 30 seconds (or less) if the weight is very light (just time enough to set up for the next pull), about 1 minute at the heavy weight.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, workout turned out great. Loved the speed deads, can't wait to feel the traps and erectors tomorrow. I think I'll start throwing these in more often.

Military DB - 5x5 70's PR*
Last set was tough.

Speed Deads - 8x1 225 (55 second rest)
Felt great, very quick, a nice change from going so heavy all the time.

DB Shrugs - 2x8 100's
Wide Grip Pullups - 2x10 BW
Cable Row - 2x10 120 Strict
Rear Delt Machine - 2x10 120

If your doing speed deads, you might as well do high pulls. That will allow you to quantify how much power your applying to the bar by how high it goes. Just don't pull on the bar with your arms.

Top Bottom