Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Something i read...

B FOLD you might not be a powerlifter but you sure as hell know enough stuff and at least compete in strongman. But I know for myself that the static holds due work and it works for others. And different things do work for different people this might be one of them. And I do agree with JAY it shouldn't only be once maybe every 4 weeks or so we should do a static hold with more weight than we know we can bench. In fact I'm going to try this and see how it works.

I am with Cubanito on this one. I am going to do these following speed work instead of doing a couple of heavy singles going into this next meet. Cubanito has a good incentive to hope that this plan works. Ha ha.

B.

I have done static holds before...and agree with the thought and principle of them. I just would not do them on contest day...in the gym fine...but not on contest day.

B True

actually zzulu may be right on this. I'm no t sure where, but I have read that Ben Johnson was seen doing a 3 rep max in the squat about 10 minutes beofre he ran his fastest time. I am not sure how, or if this would work in powerlifting but there may be something there.

Yeah, Ben Johnson does a 6RM (not to failure) with about 600 pounds before his sprints. I think Charles Poliquin made mention of it in one of his recent articles.

"I am not sure how, or if this would work in powerlifting but there may be something there."

He's simply potentiating the nervous system. Getting the body used to really heavy weight then lowering the weight so it seems lighter. This is analogous to almost everything in life if you think about it. Baseball players also use this principle btw.

-Zulu

YEA thanks BRAIN and I know I better hope and pray that you don't bomb at your next meet. And now with my back a lil messed up it'll be easier for you to turn me into a pretzel:p . I think when I get back to training I'll try something a lil different i'll do static holds after my best on ME movement or maybe just at the end of that workout so I don't scar myself for all other movements.

Ok...think about this. Next time you go to the gym for leg day...I want you to do a 6 rep max on the squat. Not to failure...but a 6 rep MAX none the less. When you are done I want you to see how your legs feel and think if you could run the fastest sprint race of your life right after that. I can barely walk after doing a 6 rep max (and at 600..c'mon). What did he weigh...180? 600 x 6 and not to failure, no support gear...and for 6 reps...then ran the fastest sprint in the world?

Think about this for a minute.

I am not a sprinter by any means...unless the dinner bell is rung...but I do compete in a very athletic sport. I do events such as a harness pull. Last October I did a harness pull with a 70,000 lb firetruck for 75 feet. There is no way in heck that I could have had a good pull on that event had I already done a 3 or 6 rep max on the squat first.

I do feel that a light warm up can help with your max effort work. Several sets of singles can help a lot...as you work up in weight.

B True

I don't feel all that bad after a set of squats (not too failure).

All I am telling you is that:

1.) There is plenty of anectodal evidence out there and obviously I"m not the only one who's heard of this.

2.) There are physiological principles backing this up.

3.) Empirical data has proven it works.

Now if YOU think it doens't work, that is your opinion.

-Zulu

ZZuluZ:
"I don't feel all that bad after a set of squats (not too failure)."
.....do a true 6 rep max...is hard. I don't care if it is a 1RM or a 20RM...it is hard and you should feel fatigued afterward.

"All I am telling you is that:"
.....yes, you are telling me but not showing me any evidence. I have competed in strength and endurance sports...and know that my body would not perform well on contest day if I did a 3-6RM before my heavy set or event.

"1.) There is plenty of anectodal evidence out there and obviously I"m not the only one who's heard of this."
.....Where? From what I see, people on here like aka-tapout and powerlifterjay are not saying to do this type of thing on contest day either. They say that it is a good training tool...but not a contest tool.

"2.) There are physiological principles backing this up. "
.....Where? Do you mean unracking the weight so you know how it feels? What if you unrack it and it feels like the weight of the world? Talk about losing TONS of confidence. Once again, are you talking about doing a 6RM or a walkout with a super heavy weight on contest day?

"3.) Empirical data has proven it works. "
.....Where? I am not for sure if I see the guys of the WSB club doing a 6rm before they walk up to the platform to do a world record squat. I'd like to think that Chuck V had taken some serious weights in the gym on various exercises before he squatted 1k. I have a very good friend who set the world record in the squat and bench press in 1995 with a squat of 1004 at a bodyweight of 239. He did NOT do a 6RM or a walkout with 1200 before he went up there to squat 1004. Hence...I can make an empirical observation on this theory. This is just an empirical observation from world class athletes. I don't see pljay doing a 6rm on the bench press just before he goes for a new PR at a meet either...but maybe I am wrong...I am not a powerlifter.

"Now if YOU think it doens't work, that is your opinion."
.....Yes...I think and have observed. Give it a try...I encourage you to do so. Encourage GF, Chuck V, Steve Goggins, etc...to try this too.

I don't mean to say this as a flame at all, just trying to express my point. There are tons of theories out there and the rumors that fly from them only create problems. A very good friend of mine is a serious squatter (900+) and does not use this train of thought. He also says that if you can walk out a weight...you can probably squat it with the way that today's support gear is designed.

Just my thoughts...no harm intended...just trying to get some more thoughts on the subject.

Respectfully

B True

Top Bottom