Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

SO what's the REAL lowdown on Squats on a Smith machine?

Lumberg

My gym only has a Smith machine. No squat rack. A home gym is in the works. Meanwhile.......

I do squats on the Smith. I personally like to put my feet slightly BEHIND the center line because I feel this movement more closely mimics a free weight squat in that it recruits your back slightly.

I always assumed the "right" way to do it is to center yourself exactly below the bar. I mean, draw an imaginary line on the ground exactly below the bar. The arch of your foot should be centered over it.

The other day I saw a trainer instruct a person to stand in front of the bar and "lean back" into it (I figure to effectively make it a hack squat type deal). Probably bad advice but would like input.

Basically I offered to hel train a girl at work and want to know the lowdown form the experts on EF before I give her really bad advice and she houses her back.

As of now I am planning to tell her to either center her feet or place them slightly behind the bar.

JC

I'm not a big fan of them John, but i guess you have to work with the equipment you've got.

I agree with the stance you propose. I often see people with exaggerated stances when doing smith machine squats, mostly with feet too far forward which cannot be good for knees or back.

I think trying to mimic a free squat as far as stance is concerned is the best way to go. I don't see why people change the rules in terms of stances just because the machinery is different. Keep it as natural as possible.

I find i get a better quad pump while doing smith squats. I am tall 6ft and with BB squats I find I tend to lean too much. I still ike BB squats but I have been using smith squats as part of a triset
leg ext
leg press
smith squats

And I can stay up right and go to failure without worry.

Studies show it works the leg muscles just like BB squat except you get less calf work.

I continue to like them very much although that is CERTAINLY not the popular answer on here...

Im sure free weights is better, but I like the feel of smiths...

I even do them for my incline press and I find I can just push and concentrate on the muscle as opposed to balancing and stuff like that.

I do prefer DB but my gym only goes up to 130lbs :(

At least you are squatting with what you have. I personally hate squatting on the smith machine because it feels very unnatural to me. You can still get a good workout, but it wouldn't hurt to train at another gym every so often so you can use a squat rack.

Cornholio said:
I continue to like them very much although that is CERTAINLY not the popular answer on here...

...and they call you a moderator.

:(

quite frankly the bar doesnt follow a perfectly straight line so you put more stress on your back than is necessary. when leaning back into it, it is similar to a hack squat and at least the forces of the bar are directed down a straight spine versus one that is exaggerated forward more unnaturally.

exerpt from ISSA exercise descriptions:

smith machine squat

Assuming that the Smith machine is bolted to the floor (most are not) and has a safety spotting device (most do not), performing squats on the Smith Machine has been regarded as a pretty safe alternative to free-standing squats for years. Unfortunately, this belief is based on myth, and is not true.
First, you cannot do squats in this apparatus with your feet directly under the bar because the weight goes up and down vertically. That forces you to poke your butt rearwards due to the fact that your ankles are not flexible enough to keep your hips under the bar when descending into the "hole." This position would also cause tremendous shear forces to be placed on your lumbar spine.

Consequently, in order to do squats, you must place your feet about 8-10 inches or so in front of the bar. The fact that you're actually "leaning" against the bar during a Smith machine squat, you're minimizing shear forces in the lower back. However, shear on the knees is still considerable. Beware!

take it for what its worth. a well executed front squat cleaned from the floor IMO, will be a more worthwhile exercise. you get strong cleaning the bar up, and finally squatting it. but thats just me. all i need is a bar and i'm happy.
:)

smith machine

I really don't like them for squats becau I feel unnatural when the weight is real low, but I do like them for front squats.... Very effective if you have a strong back to keep stabilized. You don't have to worry about tipping forward and the emphasis on the quads is nice, plus with the rack being there you don't have to worry about going to low and not being able to finish....

Top Bottom